More Info About Me

Monday, November 24, 2008

My Head is Here...My Heart???

Do you ever feel like you are just marking time? Going through the motions? That's pretty much how it's been in my world since the last time I blogged. Now, I don't want anyone to think I'm in a total "funk", because I'm really not. I can just tell that my head and my heart were in two different places for a few days.

So, to catch you up...if you're still reading:

DS 1 hasn't contacted us yet. I understand from my "Military Moms Support System" (which is a total unofficial group of women in my world who've "been there/done that") that this is completely normal. He DID call us to tell us that he arrived in St. Louis and was getting on the bus to head to the base. And that was it.

I cannot hardly walk into his room. I accidentally dialed his number the other day when I wanted to call a friend that's right next to him in my cell phone directory. It choked me up to hear the answering machine.

I know all will be fine. And life absolutely goes on...

So, it's in that vein that I am writing the rest of this post:

DS 2 played in an Ultimate Frisbee Match at a local University on Saturday. He and his team WON the entire event. I can't remember how many games of frisbee they played before it was all over. Suffice it to say that it started at 10:30ish in the morning and we got the final "update call" around 9:00pm. He was pretty sore on Sunday, but loved playing and being part of that.

DS 3 stayed somewhat busy this weekend with the football game on Friday and church set up on Saturday along with all his "other stuff". He and DH are working on negotiations to purchase a small airplane, so I know he's one excited young pilot!!

DH took DS 4 to a fishing show on Saturday before the soccer game. DS 4 raked in fishing "stuff" at the booths there. He had me take him to our sporting goods store to get new line for his rod and reel on Saturday. Now THAT was a trip! He was convinced that he needed GREEN line cause the fish might "see" the other stuff in our pond. And he wanted a lure that cost more than the line...Keep in mind he fishes in SMALL lakes and ponds!! I was utterly impressed that the nice young man in the fishing section explained to him that the "cheap lures are much better" cause it's hard when you lose an expensive one. So, my young fisherman and I left. Sure enough his line was in the water for a very short time when he made his first catch.

We had a lovely lunch yesterday after church with some friends from there. These are not "new friends", but it was the first time we had some social time outside of weekly services. It was great fun and a nice distraction for me.

Now, we're gearing up for our big Thanksgiving Feast on Thursday. We are hosting 23 - 25 people at our house. I'm praying for good weather so we can spill into the outdoors without too much trouble. We are renting tables and chairs and planning to set up like we did for DS 2's prom dinner last May. It will be fun having family around and enjoying one another's company on that special day of thanks.

We are also getting ready for our big Black Friday Coffee Distribution at church. I have been able to coordinate with Starbucks and we will be taking 450 cups of coffee to the Best Buy Parking Lot on Friday morning at 4:00am. The store opens at 5:00am. We will be giving shoppers free coffee as part of our servant evangelism/kindness program. We have 13 people who will be meeting at the store at 3:30am to set up and distribute coffee. I am 100% excited about this. I think it is going to blow people away that we are giving the stuff that people pay so much to drink...for FREE!!

I am so sorry that I haven't been around to visit your blogs. I want each blogger who regularly visits to know that I miss you very much when I don't "connect regularly". You are one of the things that I am most thankful for! I promise I'll be around soon.

9 comments:

Susan said...

I love your Starbucks Black Friday offering. How very special. I hope you take pictures and post about it.
Susan

Jane said...

Oh Susan, I am sorry this is so hard. I am thinking of you and praying he will give you peace!
Happy Thanksgiving.

Melli said...

Susan... the fact that you are even able to write about it tells me you're way AHEAD of the game! I avoided conversation altogether for several weeks after Amanda left - because everytime someone asked, I burst into tears! It was awful! I BELIEVE the rule is (or it was anyway) that they are not allowed to make ANY contact for the first 2 weeks. Then, the are allowed like 30 minutes on Sunday evening to make phone calls! I was fortunate because Amanda did not have a boyfriend at that time, so she usually JUST called us! I got the whole 30 minutes! LOL! Well... I had to share it with siblings who she missed more than sleep! But the entire Boot Camp experience is just hard - on everyone! Like I say - I wrote her every single day - sometimes 3 times a day! I FLOODED her mail call! BUT... do NOT send PACKAGES!!! They have to do PUSH-UPS for every package they get --- and then they don't even get to KEEP the stuff! It all gets put away in the locked closet until the end of boot camp! (which Amanda never told me! She LIKED all the attention so she never said I was makin' her do a million extra push-ups!

Anyway... it sounds like you are handling it way better than I did! But don't be surprised when the tears just flow out of nowhere... it's totally normal! I bet DS4 sheds some too....

Kelly said...

I love the coffee idea. Wish I could be there!

I know you are worried, but hang in there. God is in control. Repeat, repeat, repeat. God is in control.

Edie said...

I love the coffee distibution outreach. I hope those early morning shoppers do too! :)

Hang in there and have Faith. God has His eye on your son and loves both of you very much. Praying for you both.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Tammy said...

Oh Susan...first of all, I can easily try to put myself in your place and I know I would feel so much the same way. Praying for you...

What an incredibly outreach...I'm not sure I could get up in the middle of the night like that to be at the store by 3:30! That takes special people! But I know it will bless a lot of folks on Friday!
I plan to shop that day (much later in the morning though!) and I would be thrilled if someone offered me a free starbucks!

Hugs,
~Tammy

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Never having a son in the military...I still feel like I understand how you much be feeling!! It will be okay..just give it time. you know in your heart of hearts that all is fine..so that is all that really matters. I have to agree with Melli..you are writing about it and that makes you well ahead of the game..take care...Sandy

samurai said...

I did not experience what you are going through from your perspective, but i did on the other side. No news is good news and I imagine he is pretty busy at the moment. Not sure when, but you should (hopefully) soon receive word as to his mailing address, etc. If you have his recruiter's information you might be able to get it from them.

In any event... i would recommend going ahead and write a letter to him. Even if you never mail that one. It will help you feel better.

praying for you and your son...

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

My son is all into ultimate frisbee at college, too! (Was--now the weather is not permitting.) I did not even know this existed until he started playing!