In the past month or so, I've had several people ask me if I had read, or was reading, the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. My answer, until last week, was "no". Several people at my school are at various stages of the four books in the series. It's been pretty much the theme of conversation at lunch. So I picked up the first one. And I'm not sorry for doing so.First of all, this is a secular series. It is about Vampires. If someone would have asked me if I'd ever read a book about vampires, I'd have answered with a resounding "NO!" But, they told me it was more of a "love story" and that it "wasn't gory" and that "it was a page turner". And they were right!
The first book introduces us to Bella, a 17 year old girl who has just moved from Phoenix to Forks, Washington to live with her Father. While there, she meets Edward---a mysterious young man who eventually catches her eye and her fancy. I love the back cover blurb which says:
About three things I was absolutely positive: First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him–and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be–that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.
Several reviews I've read of this book tout this book as one that spans ages. It's shelved in the "Young Adult" section yet appeals to adults as well. One reviewer notes: "Unlike more traditional portrayals of vampires throughout literature, Meyer’s vampires are graceful, compassionate creatures. Edward is a vampire with morals and a conscience, as are the other members of his foster family."
I found Edward loveable pretty quickly. He definitely is a "vampire filled with compassion." Meyer does a nice job dispelling our traditional picture of vampires and their stereotypes. The love story is a sweet one that grabs the reader and definitely makes this a page turner. I also love that this book, which is being marketed primarily to teens, is really void of profanity and inappropriate behavior.
I'm amazed at the conversations and book talks that it has sparked among my colleagues. And we are all going to be going to see the movie when it opens on Nov. 21st.
If you choose to read this book, I'd love to hear your take on it.
10 comments:
I'm reading the Host by the same author. She is an amazing writer. The Host is for adults. Suzy told me about Twilight. She loved it.
Ooooo... reminds me of the old Dark Shadows soap opera... I bet I would like it! I wonder when I'll EVER find time for it! LOL!
I cannot see myself reading a book on vampires. However, do you think it would be a good book club read?
I have heard so many good things about this book and your review makes me want to read it even more! I have ordered it from Amazon (a big deal for me since I rarely buy books anymore now that I am a library addict!) and have it on my list for a reading challenge next year. Not sure if I can wait...
Rachel obviously LOVED these. I've only read the first, but Sarah has read all of them. She calls them "harmless brain candy", and I agree. This is a great "beach read"!
Guess I need to get this book. i saw the previews for the movie..REading the book first is the way to go. Did you ever get to see "The Secret life of bees?" If not you are missing a great movie. The book was one of my favorite books but the movie lives up to the book...
I hope you all come back to see these answers:
Heidi: I don't know about a book club book UNLESS they'd like some "light reading". The book is thick...500 pages...but it really doesn't provoke too many "deep thought" discussions. However, my colleagues have loved talking about stereotypes and myths and the author's writing style.
Sandy: I LOVED Secret Life of Bees. No, I haven't seen the movie yet. I may try and take myself over the weekend. I am excited to see Twilight as well.
Kara: I was going to wait until I finished some other books and then I ended up squeezing this one into my pile. If you start, you won't want to stop...
Oo how awesome! I have just started the second book of the series 'new moon'. I started it last night and am hooked on it even from the first chapter.
Everybody at work was reading them and I eventually got on the band wagon and got into the books. I posted about it on my blog here http://somethingsoverybeautiful.blogspot.com/2008/10/twilight.html.
And as awesome as my boyfriend is, it made me wish I had a vampire boyfriend...haha
We're also all(people at work) planning on going to the movie together when it comes out. And there's also talk of New Moon becoming a movie aswell!
I absolutely love this series! I finally picked it up this summer, after hearing about it nonstop from other girls my age and immediately got hooked. I now own all 4 books in the series, and plan to read 'The Host' soon. :) Hope thing are well for you!!
Thanks for your review. My 14 year old was asking to read it and I just don't care for the vampire theme so I haven't bought it for her at this time. However, after reading your review...It has perked my interest. I wonder if the movie will follow the same standards that the book has set.
Marilyn
Post a Comment