More Info About Me

Monday, November 17, 2008

Mother/Son Status Check

You might remember when we all dressed up like the photo on the right to throw a huge surprise party for my DS 1 before he headed off to boot camp. And when DSs 3 and 4 and I painted our rug camouflage like the photo on the left. And you also might remember that he didn't get to go at that time for several reasons.


But the time has come for him to leave and head off to Boot Camp tomorrow. It's a day we've known was going to happen and that he's anticipated for quite some time. As I've noted several times, I am a bit melancholy about the whole thing. It's a "Mom Thing" and I'm OK with that.

There have been several instances over the past week or so that I've been reduced to tears in a matter of moments. Whether it's "just the right song" or a mention of military men and women or patriotism or parenting. I never know when it's going to hit, but it has.

Today I was remembering him as a little boy heading off to school for the first time. It was to be the first time I was really "away" from them as I'd always taught at the preschools and day cares they attended. And he was in my Kindergarten class. When we walked into first grade, I thought maybe he'd be a bit apprehensive. But he wasn't. He walked in and sat down and looked at me like, "you can go now." I walked back to my DH waiting in the car and announced, "The Mother's a wreck, but the child's just fine." I just wanted to freeze that moment in time.


And that pretty much sums up where we are here almost fifteen years later. He's confident and ready to take the next step in his life's journey, but I'd like to stop here and make time stand still for just a while longer. And really, if you think about it, that's exactly the gift I got when his date was shifted from April to November. Just look at some of the special memories I will now hold so dear as he goes...


We had the pleasure of having him here for DS 3's end of middle school and DS 2's graduation. In the picture above, he's surprising his brother on the last day of 8th grade in the gorilla costume along with the school's mascot (the Ram).

We had a great time in July scalloping at the river...
And I will be forever grateful for the time we got to spend in Ohio in September for my Grandma's birthday...
There are many other "gifts" I've had over the past few months. And, for now, that's what I'll cling to as I watch him go tomorrow.

Still...it's true..."the Mother's a wreck, but the child YOUNG MAN is just fine!"

I love you, son!!






9 comments:

kreed said...

I got all teary at then end looking at the pictures of the fun times you have had over the past few months and he is not even my son so I can't imagine what you are feeling. Hugs.

Susan said...

I feel your pain and your joy and your pride. I know they are all mixed up in there together.
Susan

Melli said...

I just wish I could BE there and HUG you. I sO know what you're going through! And I wish I could tell ya it's gonna get better... well... I guess I can -- EVENTUALLY it IS gonna get better. But it sure took ME a lonnnng time. And I'm bettin' it's gonna take you awhie too. BUT... you can cry here anytime! I will have lots of virtual ((((Hugs))))...

Best wishes, and Christ's peace to your DS1! He's gonna do GREAT!

kt said...

aaawwweee.... :-)

Merrie said...

I so totally understand ... when each of my children left for college and the LONG 18 hour drive, I dissolved into tears in the driveway as they drove off. They were so excited about their new live and adventure.". He was kind enough to remind me that I had prayed all their lives for them to be in His will and serve Him.
I acknowledged that it was right, but at the same time asked, "why does it have to HURT so bad?"

You and your son will be in my prayers as life takes on a different meaning and transition.

Jill said...

The "tomorrow" is now today as I am reading this. Please know I am thinking of you and keeping you and all of your family in my prayers.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

oh susan...bless you, bless you.

a family in our church's daughter has joined the navy and just completed boot camp. it's been so difficult for all of them but she is thriving and doing exactly what she feels God wants of her.

you have my prayers - and so does he!!

Ladybug Crossing said...

Be strong.
It sure is tough! He is where he needs to be.

My LLB is no where near ready to go yet. Every day she is more sure that Annapolis is the place for her.

It sure is scary sending them off.
You are on my prayer list.
xo
LBC

heidi @ ggip said...

Awwww!! I would be a wreck. I don't know how I'm going to handle the first day of school let alone realizign one day that my child is an adult.

Blessings to you and your son!