More Info About Me

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's Mid-November--and I'm Emotional

I know that each year I am alive, I feel like time passes more quickly. This school year seemed to drag at the beginning, but now here we are in (almost) mid-November. Once the holidays are over, time flies in an elementary school. But, time is flying elsewhere in my life too.

It's been a long time coming, but DS 1 leaves on Nov. 19th (one week from today) for boot camp. He will be in Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. He'll go straight from there to San Antonio for his AIT training. So, we are facing six months of life with minimal contact. And I'm the Mom, so I am entitled to a trace of weepiness over this! I'm excited for him, but oh so sad too!

Having our nephew in town for the past few days has been fun. He is a happy little man who is quite observant. And he says the cutest things--as 3yos do. The best was the other morning when he woke up and exclaimed: "Hey! The sky IS blue so we can get up now!" Hmmm...I'm guessing that he's woken up one too many times when it was BLACK and was probably told to go back to bed!

I got to share a tender moment with him the other night during bedtime. We read a story. We prayed. But he still wasn't quite settled. So, I did what I used to do when my boys were little...I cuddled with him and sang to him. And while I loved it that he and I were getting that special moment...I was suddenly drifting back in time to when my own boys were that little. It was precious! But it also made me emotional.

I can't believe how close we are to Thanksgiving! For any of you who are coming to my house for the dinner, I promise we'll coordinate menus soon! Seriously, I'm very excited cause my Grandma (from Ohio) is going to be down for the holiday. We plan to have some family photos taken. Of course when I think of doing that without DS 1, I get...well...choked up!

There is no doubt that I am blessed beyond what I can express here in a simple blog post. And I am so thankful for each and every blessing that I have received. I guess I've reached a point in my life when even the blessings can bring a tear of joy.

So, yeah, it's mid-November...and I'm emotional...but that's OK!

.

10 comments:

Melli said...

Ohhhhh Susan! This moment with DS1 would have you emotional even if it was June! I think it's neat that he's going to Leonard Wood and then to San Antonio - that is exactly how Amanda got her start! And then on to Fort Bragg for Jump school, and then to Korea. And I can still remember all the tears I cried... I'd be driving down the road, thinking I had everything under control, and all of a sudden there'd be puddles dripping down my cheeks. I missed her horribly... and I wrote her EVERYday! Make sure someone from home does... they NEED that mail from home!

Sounds like it's going to be just a GREAT Thanksgiving at your house though -- lots of family around to help keep your mind occupied - even while it makes it more obvious he's missing. And it is GREAT that you already know he'll be able to make it home for Christmas! THAT is huge!

You ARE blessed! To be sure!

Mrs. LC said...

Your Christmas is going to be so special this year. And it will definitely make you appreciate your family and having you all there even more since DS1 will be gone for Thanksgiving. I'll be praying for you and your family the days leading up to/ following Nov. 19th. :)

Jane said...

Susan, you have every right to be emotional. I would be. This is a defining moment for all of you. I will never forget when my brother went off to boot camp. I was only 7 years old but I could sense that things were going to be different.
You are all in my prayers during this time of transition.

Tammy said...

I can imagine all the mixed emotions you are feeling right now, Susan...and having that moment with your little nephew and bringing back those memories would be sure to make anyone a little teary-eyed!

Yes, I feel the time flying by so quickly lately, too!

Hugs,
~Tammy

Kelly said...

Hang in there. Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

OK...Now you got me started with the misty eyes!! I know it's really hard but after all we've been "practicing" for a long time :-) (Inside family joke!)
He will certainly be missed for Thanksgiving...but always in our hearts on every special day.
Now hurry up and put a stop to the growth of the other 3 so we don't have to face these "opportunities" again anytime soon! They're growing up way too fast for a G'ma! And remember hugs are always here when you need them.
LY...C

Katie said...

Big hugs!!! Just think about the day you'll see him in December...what a JOYOUS day!

Jill said...

I can only imagine all the mixed emotions. And I have a (nearly) 3yo so I know all the squishy, sleepy, emotional times with them are so precious. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days.

Momma Roar said...

I cannot blame you one bit for being emotional right now - so I'm sending you some hugs!!!

kreed said...

Moms are entitled to some emotion - especially with boot camp coming and sweet 3 year olds around!