More Info About Me

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Servant Living...

Most of you know that when my DH took a different path from full time pulpit ministry, my own "ministry" changed a bit. Because I'd always been involved in so much, I really wanted to take some time and just "be" in church. That's pretty much what I did for the first year. Gradually, this year, we've become more involved as we have been led.

The Pastor talked to me this Summer about taking leadership in an area of ministry within the church. At first I gave a rather quick "no, that's not where I see me working". I truly wanted to do what God wanted me to do. I've spent way too much time doing jobs in the church simply because "no one else would step forward." After a little prayer and a HUGE nudge kick in the pants from God, I said "Yes".

The ministry I am working with centers around Servant Evangelism. This is the concept that simple acts of kindness can make a big difference in the world. At our church, we call this "interact". It is our opportunity to interact, in meaningful ways, in our community. This summer we gave cold water out on the beach. We also shared treat bags with kids who completed the mile beach run.

I think the church is in danger of defining "need" as weakness and limiting its outreach to the hurting, sick, poor, or lonely. And certainly there are multiple opportunities to reach out to these people. But, the fact is there are many hurting and lonely people that appear to have it all together. And there are many people who don't believe kindness even exists in our world. We want to reach all of them.

So, here are the wonderful SE projects that we have in the next few weeks:

The week before Halloween we are going to "Reverse Trick-or-Treat". We will be visiting homes in a neighborhood and giving out large bags of candy they can use for Halloween or anything else they choose.

On Halloween, we are hosting a block party at our house. We will pass out candy to kids, but we will also have cold soda, water and large candy bars to adults.

Two weeks later, we will be hosting a Harvest Party at one of our local Assisted Living Facilities. We are bringing in musical entertainment, gifts from our kids, and some pets to share with about 40 residents. We will also leave candy baskets for the 350 employees at this facility.

And, I am MOST excited about the day after Thanksgiving....On the biggest shopping day of the year, we are going to get up at 0'dark hundred and head out to the large electronics store and pass out coffee to the waiting bargain hunters. I think they are going to be absolutely shocked by this.

I think the thing I am learning as we continue to find ways to spread little acts of kindness in our community is that it isn't that hard. We all have so many individual opportunities each and every day to be kind to someone else. And isn't that what Christian Living is all about?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
I love the idea of servant evangelism. I have really felt like I should be doing something along these lines, whether organized through the church or not. You are so right, everyone needs to feel the love of Jesus, whether they are homeless or live in a mansion. I like that the ministry focuses on all people. I hope it goes really well and that you share more as things get rolling. God bless your endeavors!

Ladybug Crossing said...

I think your Servant Evangelism ideas are terrific. I particularly like your coffee for the patrons on Black Friday. I can only imagine the looks and smiles you are going to get from a bunch of sleepy shoppers.

Thanks for your comment. I will pass it along to my friend.
xo
LBC

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Random acts of kindness is what this sounds like..which is absolutely a wonderful thing. Christians should be the one doing it too.
Thanks for stopping by. I am so behind in visiting..wow...
Hope your day is great..Sandy

Momma Roar said...

Oh what great ideas! I may have to steal some!

Susan said...

These are great ideas and you are so right about some of the seemingly "have it all's" are the ones most in need of truth and kindnes..
Susan

Lazy Daisy said...

I totally love it and can't think of any one more qualified to lead it. I gotcha all prayed up girlfriend. Loved your ideas and I'm praying it will have a lasting impact on your community. Thanks for praying us home.

Merrie said...

Thank you!
Thank you for serving...
Thank you for stepping all over my toes, feet, selfish self... and reminding me to get outside myself.

I have been so beat up and used in so many ways, that I have retreated from serving. I realize that I have allowed my heart to become hardened. I needed this today... I need to reach out beyond myself in the Name of Jesus.
Thanks...

heidi @ ggip said...

"there are many hurting and lonely people that appear to have it all together. "

Well said!
ANd I can't wait to hear you blog about these adventures! Really, if for some reason I miss you posts, come tell me to visit!! I am so interested.

Jill said...

Very cool...and much needed. The little things really do mean a lot.

Tammy said...

This is so wonderful, Susan...
And such a great point you make! While the church needs to reach out to those in disparate circumstances, we also need to reach out to "average" folks...because it's true, a lot of people who appear to have it all together actually do not!

Edie said...

I love the idea of passing out coffee the day after Thanksgiving. Those shoppers will need some kindness to set their pace for the day. You have a beautiful servant heart!

Connie Barris said...

Servant Evangelism...

I try every year to come up with something truly representing HIM...

you go girl...

You just have the most awesome HEART

and I love you for it

Connie

Melli said...

I definitely LOVE all these ideas. I have done the coffee thing on a much smaller scale... being just me. But I have shown up on SMALL construction jobs with Coffee and brownies on cold cold winter mornings! It is always WAY appreciated! I think you will take 'em ALL by surprise!!!