More Info About Me

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Removal and Editing...

It was not my intention to decide if the things I mentioned in my last (now removed) post are wrong or right. I am not trying to judge. I only wanted to make note that, in my opinion, the climate of the CHURCH (as a whole) has changed. What's acceptable seems to have changed. Many of the things I have noticed would NOT have been acceptable behavior twenty years ago for "conservative" Christians.

I did not mean to send a message of judgement. Therefore, I have removed the original post. I may rewrite and post later. In the meantime....

Am I the only person who is noticing this shift in the church at large? And do you think it is positive or negative?

9 comments:

Melli said...

I think the church has changed as much as the world has changed, and that sOMe of it is for the better. And sOMe is for the worse. The church is "people"... and just as television has changed and things that were NEVER acceptable 30 years ago are (according to some people) perfectly acceptable today... just as clothing styles have changed... just as music has changed... sOMe is better, some not. The church has to change because the people have changed. And yea... I've noticed! LOL! (sorry about last night's comment!)

Heather said...

Wow...who knew you would draw fire for that one?

I don't know about the church, but I know that *I* have become less legalistic with myself as I grow in freedom and grace in Christ, and consequently less judgmental of others.

For me, it came with my own personal "reformation" of theology. Knowing that while I'm called to work out my salvation with fear and trembling, but that at the same time there is nothing I can do to save myself.

I think there are still pockets of more "straightlaced" denominationalism, but yes, I agree that our definition of Christian living has become more broad as a church universal.

Jill said...

I have totally noticed a shift in the church...and I admit I have a limited exposure as I only deal with the church I attend. I didn't see your post and I don't know what examples you gave, but I am so put off by the level of entertainment that churches seem to think they have to offer. I call it Carnival Church or Circus Church. I can't figure out why everything has to be such a production in the name of the Lord? Our middle child has to attend what is called Kids Church instead of Sunday School sometimes and there's a stage, and acting, and LOUD music and the whole room is just loud and wild. And he doesn't like it. He says he wants to sit and have a Bible lesson at a table. Even our adult Sunday School class is constantly all about fall festivals, adults only outings, dinner club, this event and that event. What about worship? I am so worn out by the business and entertainment side of church by the time I get to the pew that I can hardly focus on The Word.

Merrie said...

Yes, the church HAS changed greatly. I don't think it is for the good... well, the denominational churches are the worst. The non-denom are much more conservative and there is a huge difference. (at least in the ones I'm familiar with). We need to get back to the Bible as the standard and lifting up Jesus. That is why we are in existence - no other reason!

I did not think your post was judgmental or harsh. But a call to reality!

We have followed several female pastors. I'm not against women in the ministry... but, they have done some huge damage in the churches where we have gone. The men have left the church. The women have taken over and become Jezebels... the finances are at an all time low and the church had lost respect and position in the communities. They were struggling to keep the doors open. Attendance had dropped to 5 on a GOOD, Special Sunday... it is now up to almost 30 on an average Sunday... it will continue to grow, but much has to be overcome.

I'm not saying all of that is because they are women... but it is just the way it is... The church comes back to life and is vibrant and alive given a different leadership.

Please rewrite your post.

Jane said...

Yes, there are some changes in the church, both positive and negative. By virtue of my age, I am somewhat more traditional in my worship style. I don't enjoy a completely contemporary service. A blended service is more my style. That's neither positive or negative, just fact.
However, I do find it troubling to see the watering down of the gospel that I see in some churches. While the style we use to reach people might vary the gospel message should NEVER change. It is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. I have heard some say they don't want to 'offend' people but the gospel is offensive. Otherwise people would not be drawn to repent.

Anonymous said...

Shucks...I missed the original but I would say that my thoughts resonate with Jill's comments,,,however,sometimes I fear that without the "Entertainment/Worship"....
please hold that term very loosly....we will lose our younger generation! (14-21 year olds)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm adding to my above comments...today I heard a radio pastor say something to the effect of...why is it that it is so hard for us to agree that there is one way to heaven. If our body was covered with fungus and the Dr. would say that there is only one antibiotic...we would take it....or if we were flying and the tower would say that there is only one runway open..we would land on it! Why are we so scared of offending people by claiming one way to heaven through Jesus Christ.
Marilyn (xanga/m_squad4)

Bellezza said...

One of the things that saddens me about the church is that it seems to have lost its 'holiness'. I feel quite often that I am entering an auditorium rather than a sanctuary, with its loud music, roll down screens, even video clips pertaining to the message. People get made when I ask them not to bring their Starbucks lattes into the sanctuary (being a greeter at the main door of our enormous church). In many ways, I see the church reaching out to the world at large. In many others, I see it losing its sanctity.

Anonymous said...

I pray it wasn't my comment that perhaps sounded offensive ;(....I would never bring that to the blogging world as I have been under that kind of attack.

I was rather surprised by the post you deleted. You generally don't post about such 'hot topics'. I quit because of the way the tones of both the posts and the comments can be misconstrued.

I do believe there has been a change and I am on the fence about whether it is a good or a bad thing - how is that for steering clear of poison darts???? ;)

We miss you out here in the blogosphere....when are you coming back?????