I sat down to do my Thursday Thirteen post tonight and this is what happened:
I am working through the "ABC's of Me". This week should be "N" week. So, I started with my regular TT ritual of brainstorming the weekly letter in my head. These are the first "N" words that came to mind: nappy, nosey, noisy, nil.
Then I sat up and started analyzing THAT brainstorm....
Nappy? I don't think so unless we are talking about taking a little siesta "nappy"...and that is simply not how I talk. In fact, I hate it when grown adults add "y's" on the end of words that simply don't normally have them. You know like "Would you like a little huggy?" Or "Do you want to take a walky with your wifey?" You get the picture.
Nosey? OK I admit sometimes this is a good description of me. BUT, and this is a big BUT, I am really not as nosey as I once was. I never was "Gladys Cravitz" kind of nosey (I'm dating myself now, so maybe I should use "nostalgia" when I actually DO this thing). But, I am way too busy to be nosey much anymore.
Noisy? I think I'm pretty quiet most of the time. Although it's possible that those in my family might disagree and think this is a viable "N" word for my Thursday Thirteen list.
And "Nil"? That's just not right. I am not sure WHAT that means or WHERE that came from...but it's going back into the brainstorm file for another time when I feel like really figuring it all out.
Soooooo I decided to forgo the list this week.
While I'm confessing, though, I want to go ahead and get something else off my chest:
I'm a comment addict. There. I said it.
At one time I was a site meter addict. I stopped looking at it and now hardly even give it a second thought. Just before I left on my cruise, however, there was a day when I got several comments followed by a day of very few comments. And the day I got so few was one I wanted to hear from people. So, I decided to check the meter once again.
When I got there, I kept seeing this "visitor" from a little town about an hour and a half north of where I live. A few hits on the "back button" and the history was clear that this person had been visiting me for several weeks. Multiple times each day. I was absolutely furious that this person kept visiting and never commented. I mean how can you be a "neighbor" and not say "hello"? Not even one little eensy weensy comment.
Then I clicked out of my blog and checked back about 15 minutes later---a good sign that you're a comment addict. Nothing. I clicked over to site meter to see my "northern neighbor" was on at the SAME TIME. Then, reminding myself that I lack true computer savvy, and possibly being hit by a blogging lightbulb, I asked my 13 yo..."can you tell when our own computer logs in on this thing?" And he said, yes. Then he proceeded to show me how to match the number on my laptop with the one in my site meter.
Lo and behold, I am the one who has been visiting my OWN blog and not leaving comments! Rest assured that my site meter addiction is quite under control. I haven't been back since that revelation.
But the comment addiction is a whole other story. I like to hear from those in bloggy world. It's part of my "social side". I enjoy visiting blogs and leaving comments too. Truly I believe if you want comments, you have to give them. My Mama DID teach me the Golden Rule. I want to remember, though, that there are all kinds of people in the world and thus bloggers in the "sphere". I know that not everyone is a commenter and that's got to be OK. It's what makes this such a unique medium.
So this confession is the first part of my "treatment". The second part took place when I really thought about WHY I blog.
It's really for me anyway. It's a place to record my thoughts, my feelings, my faith journey, my family stories, the lessons I learn, and the everyday happenings that make up my life. It's a place to get and be real. It's a place to laugh and cry and simply be. And none of that requires an audience. Although, I'll be honest, an audience is nice sometimes. It's not so much wanting attention as it is wanting true reflection. It's that opportunity to push my thinking a bit...share experiences...and learn together. But, if it's really for "me", then those days when it's "comment lite" should not bother me. So I'm letting go here and now.
Whew! Now I feel better.
If you're reading this, though, could you please tell me how you feel about comments on your blogs? Oops...that may have just set me back to square one of my treatment...but go ahead. Tell me anyway. Cause, tomorrow's another day!
17 comments:
haha. That is funny that you discovered the mystery site visitor was you. I like getting comments too and I do also believe that to get comments you should leave comments. I had you on my thursday thirteen blog roll. I havn't done Thursday thirteen in ages, but anyway...in wanting to find some new bloggers I decided to visit those that are on my thursday thirteen list...I am plesantly surprised at the awesome bloggers I am discovering. God bless!
That's hilarious...and something I might do! LOL
Another reason I think we were twins separated at birth...I am too addicted to the comments I get, as well. I use to get quite a few, and then lately, it slowed way down.
But then, my inspiration has slowed down, so there you go...
Anyway, I know I shouldn't let how many comments I get determine my self worth or anything...so I have to guard against putting too much emphasis on it.
The real reasons I blog are similar to yours, so I have to also remember it's not a popularity contest!
But it is for me also about connecting...I've made some wonderful friends, though I've yet to actually get to meet any of you in real life. Hopefully one day!
Sooz,
EVERYONE loves a little "atta girl" now and then.
It makes us feel that our blogging matters to someone besides ourselves.
Personally, I have been blessed beyond measure by your choosing to blog. I feel like I have gotten to know you in a way that time and distance haven't allowed.
Keep up the good work....comment addiction or no!
Love,
Heather
I'm laughing because I am SO guilty of the same thing! I kept checking my profile to see how many people looked at it and was so excited that it kept going up - but only by one each time...
Also, I love comments and commenting. I have lots of friends and family who read my blog, but never leave comments. I've been thinking of blogging on HOW to leave a comment and why. Sometimes, they do email me.
It is nice to have children to help us understand the technologies of today.
Hi Susan! I just found you from a comment you left at The Preachers Wife blog. :o) I also just added you to my "tweets" on twitter. Am now headed to add your blog to my GoogleReader. Lol. Have a great day!
Oh you DID it now!!! Ever since I let Lazy Daisy know that HER comments were important to me, she only comments on my blog about once a MONTH!!! I think she's out to teach me a lesson or something! I hope she doesn't decide to teach YOU the same lesson!
That is toooooo funny that you were your own visitor! You really should leave yourself a comment or two! (how RUDE!)
I love it that you can be so REAL!!! That is what attracted me to your blog when I first started blogging and I am a faithful visitor and hopefully, usually, commentor :o)
I try and comment most times to the blogs I read. I personally can't see taking the time to read, and then not taking that extra minute to comment and let them know they enrich my life.
I think if we are truthful we will all say we get down when we pour ourselves into a post and then few comment. I also find it amazing which posts do get a lot of comments and which ones don't!!
I see I'm your 7th so far. I'll have to check back later and see how many you got!!
Anywway, having said ALL THAT I truly say I appreciate you, your posts and your comments!!!!
Susan
I am right there with you on tracking the comments and watching sitemeter early on. Now I only know what my sitemeter stats are when I get the email from them. I blogged for almost a year with no comments except for my husband. And, I was kinda sorta bummed. Then, I started reading and commenting on more blogs and...lo and behold, got comments. It's very much give and take in the blogging world, I think. When I comment, I try to leave more than one or two words and write something personal and meaningful...at least most of the time. I've been blessed with some wonderful blogging friends I've never met (like you - though you were here and I was sick...durn it!!!) and also some I've met IRL and just adore. Those things are what's really important to me.
When I was at my first site, I thrived on getting comments and hits. At one point, I could google my name and my blog would come up like 7or 8 on the list of top 10. I was so stoked.
When I moved, I didn't participate in all the memes anymore and I must have lost my following. But then I realized, I really like blogging just to blog.
Oh, there are days I want to see lots of comments - especially if I have written something I consider thought-provoking. Most times, I'm okay.
What bothers me is to know I was on someone's blog list and then one day find I'm no longer there.
Crazy, isn't it?
Never uNderestimate the power of a commeNt - heehee
-leigh aNN
Thanks for your comment! :) I like your layout as well!
I love comments on my blogs. I know people read...yet no one ever says anything except for those I least expected!
Beautiful family!
Hi Susan, It is alright if you don't do a Thursday thirteen.... sometimes we need a break from it all...I have not posted much this week, because my sister and her family are staying at the beach on Tybee Island and my youngest daughter Julie came from Atlanta with the three girls to stay with me for a few days. we have been busy...family always comes first...
I like to leave comments on blogs.The more people I visit and comment on , the more comments I get back to enjoy..
Are you busy getting ready for school?? I can't believe it starts so soon.My Emma starts kindergarten this year in Atlanta..the school bus picks her up in front of her house..it will be a big day when her mom sees her climb onto the bus..
Well girlfriend I am going to take Fred to the Cracker Barrel for dinner.Talk later.
Hugs, Baba
I love comments, but I don't get as many since the feed readers became popular. I'm okay with it... sorta...
Besides, I am guilty of reading and not commenting... I'm a bad blog friend sometimes.
xo
LBC
I DID THE SAME THING! I thought someone I knew must have discovered my blog and not told me. Every day they kept visiting! Like you, I finally figured out it was me because of the similar times. SO FUNNY!
I used to be addicted to site meter as well, but I'm over that. I do really enjoy the community, so as long as I feel like I am hearing from others and they are hearing from me, I am happy.
Great post!
I got a chuckle out of that IP address thing too!... Why? Because I have done the exact same thing! LOL
Glad to have you back - even if that means you are not out cruising and enjoying life. :)
OHMYGOSH--Don't you hate it when you find out you've been stalking yourelf? You are hilarious! This cracked me up out LOUD, Susan. Yeah, I love the comments, from the "old" bloggin' friends (like you) and the brand-new ones. I can't explain it. Bloggers are a different breed, for sure. Thanks for the funniest moment I've had all day, and probably all evening.
I heart comments. I try to stop by the blogs on my blog roll at least once a week and leave comments mostly because I so appreciate it when folks stop by to say hello on my own.
Of course, my blog is far more dull than yours, so I totally understand if people don't have anything to say about it. LOL!
Post a Comment