YOU'VE GOTTA know the "Zipper Dance"!
I love to shop! But unlike my blogging friend, Linda, I only have BOYS. And my boys, while they like to shop when Mom's buying them stuff, are power shoppers. You know, in and out. No lingering. No wandering in and out of dressing rooms, and dreaming of what you "might buy". Nope. It's simply not the same as shopping with the female set.
I also fessed up here not long ago just how much I love shopping at our local thrift stores. We often have very high end clothing for a fraction of the original cost in there. For example, I got this cute little green jacket at Goodwill only hours before we left for Alaska. I wanted one more "jacket option" and found it for $6!!This Sunday I leave for another 7-day cruise. This time, I'm going to the Carribean with my Mom, Brother, Cousin Lynn, Friend Debra, and several teachers from Lynn's school. While I have clothes for this sort of cruising, I thought I'd just take a peek at our Goodwill yesterday and see if they had anything cute and new.
And they did!
They had a darling little pair of crop pants in a tropical motif from Talbots in my size!! And when they look brand new, I really feel like it's a steal. So I went into the dressing room to try them on. They zipped on the side.
The zipper went right up and the pants looked so cute. After posing a couple different ways in the mirror, I went to take them off and that zipper started down it's track and stopped just an inch or so from the top. I said they fit. They were NOT in any way baggy. Nope. That zipper would have to go down further to get them off my body.
I twisted. I turned. I tugged. Then I started jumping a bit to try and get it to go back up. Nothing. It wasn't going UP or DOWN. I stuck my head out the door in hopes that I'd catch a nice little lady to help me. But there were none near and I simply couldn't allow myself to holler across the store. I tried again, to no avail.
I remembered that Sandy was out and about and looked for my cell phone. It was in my car.
I wondered for a moment if I called home (which is not too far away) and asked my DH or my DSs to come...would they? Perhaps, but I'd rather call another female. Because I'm pretty sure they'd "get it".
I leaned against the wall and thought, "I'll just break the zipper and pay for them." Remember though, these are well-made pants. They were not going to just rip! I tugged and tried the zipper dance again.
Suddenly, I could feel that familiar twinge of anxiety creeping up on me. I leaned against the wall and I prayed. No, Lord, I don't want to panic and melt down right here! Especially over a zipper!!
And suddenly, as if the zipper angels themselves had entered that room, I took "one last tug" and the zipper came down easily!
I rehung those pants right back on the rack, made a mental note to never try on clothes without a cell phone again, and left the store. I called Sandy and she assured me that if I'd called, she'd have come to my rescue.
So, dear friends, don't forget to hone your zipper dance before you go trying on anything. Cause you never know when you just might need it!!
17 comments:
I have done that before. Oh yes I have. I found myself remembering a time or two I have stuck my head out of the door in hopes of finding someone there!
Although I hate to hear you on the verge of panic...you described your situation so well it gave me the giggles. Glad it all turned out well and happy cruising!!!!!!!!
Even the hairs on your head... That zipper was important enough! He JUST wants us to ASK! ROFL! I love it! But... I WILL remember to always take my cell phone! I'm not as agile as you - I probably would have never gotten them zipped to begin with!
@ least YOUR thrift store has a dressing room! lol
Yes, only another female would "get" a situation like that. Or maybe possibly a gay man.
And don't you LOVE it when God answers the little prayers like that? Awesome!
I'll have to practice up on the zipper dance...is that anything like the happy dance...or did you do that once the zipper angels released you. God is so good, I bet he got a chuckle over this too.
I loved this! Made me laugh, and I have had that happen too. oh my!
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Oh my dear. I can not only picture it, I can feel it!!! So glad the zipper angel arrived just in time.
Susan
Oh boy!!! I have to tell you...as I was reading yours and leaving you a comment....you were reading mine and leaving me a comment ;o) Isn't this blog world something!!!
Susan
Yes never fear..when a Sandy is around she will COME and help you out!! I am so glad that you did not have to wear them for the rest of your life!! Smile..
Have a wonderful time on your trip. You just go and go!!
Sandy
The zipper dance is no fun! Thanks for the comments.
I'm sitting here with a mental image of you jumping up and down trying to get the zipper to move. How funny!!!
I'm DS4 enjoyed my crazy hands. I thought they were interesting.
Have a great time on your cruise.
That is so funny! I have done the same thing and also pulled on a top that I could NOT get off! Panic tries hard to come in. Thankfully I have a wierd sense of humor and end up laughing it off - literally.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad to meet you - I'll be back to visit.
I'm "originally" from Georgia and moved from S. Ga - VERY close to Florida. I love the beach and Florida.
We have made the trip back and forth from GA to OK many many times. Our 4 children (2 boys and 2 girls) all went to college out here, got married, had children and stayed. So, God opened the door for us to move out here too.
Now, we make the trip to Atlanta to visit my aging parents.
I'd love to know more about you and as time permits, I'll catch up on some of your past posts...
Oh, I LOVE your green coat and hope you got some other new outfits for your cruise. I do love and cherish a good bargain.
Oh.MY.WORD!!! I laughed so hard at the picture in my head I almost peed!! I'm glad you managed to get them off, and that you have a village to come to your rescue!!! LOL!!
Hi Susan, this story is funny , but I would have gotten the urge to pee and really had a panic attack..when the pants don't come off... I am glad that the dancing helped you in time..Have a super fun time on your cruise with family and friends.You are so lucky to be on the go all of the time..hugs, Baba
THAT was hilarious! :)
A very funny story! I needed a laugh before bed tonight! BTW...not only does your jacket look good...but I love that little purse you have with it! :)
Marilyn
Post a Comment