More Info About Me

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Book Review: Intelligence for Your Life

Often while driving on the weeknights, I find myself flipping through several radio stations. Many times I end up stopping on the John Tesh radio show where he shares "Intelligence for Your Life". It's a good mix of music and tid bits about living and learning. And that's right up my alley!

I was excited when I was browsing books for summer reading and found that John Tesh has rolled his life story (including his faith testimony) and his radio show into one book. I actually found myself thinking about reviewing this book chapter by chapter for the blogging world. It's got that many "gold nuggets" in it!

Here are just a few of my favorite pieces of "Intelligence for MY Life"...

He explores the importance of having (and living with) purpose in our lives. And, he explains, that this begins by finding your passion. Here's something to think about: "If someone asks you to state the deepest desire of your heart and you don't have an answer, there's a good chance you are living your life merely as a REACTION to what happens to you." We uncover our passions by asking ourselves four key questions:

* What makes me feel most energized and excited?

* What do I want to be known as?

* What could I talk about nonstop?

* Which activities do I get so caught up in that time just flies?

Money "cannot buy happiness"...but actually, it CAN. The thing is, the dopamine (happiness hormone) that is released when we purchase things is short-lived. At the most, big purchases (house, car) can last about 3 months. Then it's GONE. But, Tesh reveals, scientists and therapists have found that money can buy sustained happiness when it's used to purchase "experiences". He writes: "it's the experiences--the memories--that give lasting happiness, not the fanciness of the experiences." I love that.

Throughout the rest of the book, Tesh helps the reader explore how to put our passion into action, focus and simplify, take care of relationships, and take care of business. Then, he leaves us with the best intelligence of all: TRUST GOD!

I read this book very quickly, but it's one that I don't think is meant to be read alone. It's more of a read, let the words marinate in your heart and mind, and then discuss with someone else type of book. If you like books that challenge your thinking, add to your knowledge, and tell a good life story, then this book is an excellent read!! And I promise you'll want to reference it again and again.

6 comments:

Melli said...

Ooooo! I'm gonna GET this one! I've always liked him!

Merrie said...

Yes! I've heard him talking about it and wanted to get it. I hope you DO post on it. At this point I have such a LONG LONG LOOOOONNNGGG list of reading to do to finish my degree and studies - besides my loving reading list... I don't think I'll read it any time soon.
Also, I've been, um "encouraged", not to buy another book! (at least until I get rid of some or get the boxes and boxes and BOXES put up).
That's one thing about reading blogs, it doesn't take up space at home!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I have always liked John Tesh. I have some of his CD's that are really nice to listen too. I too have heard his radio program which I thought was really nice to hear!! Sounds like a good book to read. I have so many now that I need to read what I have..smile.
Have a great weekend!!

Baba said...

Hi Susan, this book really sounds great... I will buy it and learn from him..we never quit learning from others..I would like to listen to him on the radio.what station is he on??
Have a wonderful day my friend.
Hugs, Baba

samurai said...

Sort of living moment by moment. If you are going to spend money, buy something that will last... and our memories last our entire lives. Perhaps arguably - our eternal ones as well.

Anonymous said...

When I won my cruise in April...it was a John Tesh Music Cruise and I can tell you that he and his wife are just as genuine in person as they are on the radio! I hope you make many memories on your cruise! I can't wait to hear how you liked it. If I remember correctly....you will be on the same ship that I was. (Triumph)
have a wonderful time!
Marilyn