More Info About Me

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Receiving: It's a Giving Thing

Yesterday was the day that our church has been preparing for the past few weeks. Here are just some of the things that took place to get ready for the visit of the single Moms and their babies from the local pregnancy center:
  • We created a cookbook for the Moms complete with disaster stories to share about learning to cook for a family.
  • We donated toiletries such as lotions, shampoos, conditioners, soaps, etc.
  • We collected flip flops for the Moms.
  • Hair brushes and scrubbies were purchased.
  • Diapers were gathered.
  • The Children's Ministry decorated frames for each Mom.

This morning the ladies that were to serve as mentors went early to meet with leaders from this agency for a debriefing. The girls and their little ones arrived shortly after and were matched up with each mentor. Unfortunately, there were only 10 girls that showed up. Originally there were to be 15. As a result five of us did not have a "match".

I honestly found myself wondering just WHY I was there to begin with. I was a bit apprehensive at first since I know that these girls are the same ages as my oldest kids and may not like being with an "older person". Then I got excited about it. I felt certain that it was "supposed" to happen. Briefly, when I realized that I'd be "unmatched", I found myself slipping back to the "funk" I have been in for the past few days. When I went in to sit, the table that had seats included the young couple who just had a baby four weeks ago and one of the visiting Moms who is pregnant with twins and totally new to the area. God is good. I needed to be there. Instead of mentoring ONE Mom, I really think I was able to spend time with TWO Moms.

When the kids delivered the gift totes to the Moms, the one at our table said, "I'm so excited, I needed a hairbrush SO BAD! And I can't believe it, these flip flops will fit me...I'm a size 10!" I thought it was amazing that her needs were met right there. In addition to the items listed above, each Mom received a knitted cap for her baby (and our's got two for her twins) and a special photo was taken so that they would have a picture for their frame. A local clothing ministry set up a baby clothing boutique in the back and let the Mom's "shop" for free.

After our meal, an announcement was made that the pregnancy center has acquired a new house in the south part of our county. The house is in need of repair so that it can be occupied by January 1st. Our church will be taking this on as an extension of our ministry with this agency. I was so excited because I get to be part of the "Kitchen and Bath" team that will decorate and stock these rooms for the residents.

Today was an example of one of the things that has drawn us to this church. It is reaching out all around us to meet needs. I love this. I think Christianity MUST be active. It must entail being the hands and feet of Jesus in the world.

But, and this is a semi-big "but", I think there has to be those times when people in the church "receive" as well. We have Sunday Mornings right now. Because this is a new church, there are not small groups yet. There are not other "growth opportunities" beyond the service. They are coming. I know because we just spent four weeks listening to the vision and mission for the future of this community of faith.

I need to give. And I need to do it more than I do. These opportunities are so precious to me. They are constant reminders of how much we are blessed when we give.

But I also need to receive. This week I melted down. And one of my dear friends from work was there to sit with me and listen while I talked and cried. She gave of herself and I received. And that was wonderful.

I also know that traditionally in churches, I would have a group of Christian friends who could serve as prayer partners and/or support for those valley moments. I miss that in so many ways. I suspect that I can't be the only woman sitting there on Sunday mornings who feels this void. I'm going to pray about what steps I can take now to fill it. It'll require that I give something, I know.

It's really a cycle, isn't it? We give. We receive. We give. We receive. I am again, reminded of Paul's words in Acts 20:35

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.


And what can be more blessed than that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible ministry you are a part of. And I love that you said "we give ... we receive." Our lives really are not complete until we have shared them with others.

What a neat thing.

Thanks for coming by. I tried to get on last night and leave you comments but alas, my computer was somewhat draggy and not responding. Hmmm.

Nice ... so nice ... to meet you.

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, what a wonderful ministry to these new moms. Look at you Miss Thing...I remember being a new mom and the encouragement I received from older women. Praying with you to find a Bible Study that you can enjoy.

samurai said...

That is amazing... \o/ ... praise God!

And I loved the Sunday seven below... God is so good.

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

I loved this post...so encouraging and thought provoking! "I need to give. And I need to do it more than I do. These opportunities are so precious to me. They are constant reminders of how much we are blessed when we give." I hear you on this one! I've been dealing with the same thing on my end...learning how to give. Thanks for sharing such a neat ministry with us. Blessings, Diane