More Info About Me

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sunday Seven: The Random Variety


Connie over at Little Red Hearts from God tagged me for a meme that I've been watching float around out there. It's a RANDOM THINGS Meme where you are supposed to list seven random things about yourself. I decided to play along and just blend it with my Sunday Seven list.

1. I CANNOT be around loud noises. This includes drums, fireworks, balloons popping, guns, etc. As a result, I have watched July 4th fireworks from INSIDE the car on more than one occasion. I also get very nervous when these things are around.

2. I walked on my tippy toes as a child. As a result, they checked me for Muscular Dystrophy and I had to wear "special shoes" that would tip my toes upwards. I didn't wear them as they were clunky and ugly and hard for a girl to wear around without being embarassed. I still have problems with my feet today as a result. I cannot do squats at the gym without my feet coming up off the ground...although we are working on it.

3. DH and I had five kids under the age of five at one time. We were foster parents when our two oldest boys were younger. We had agreed to take TWO kids, but the case worker dropped the first two off and announced, "There's a younger sister....we'd love to keep them together." My heart melted and they came to live with us for a while. Just before this, we "lost" one of our foster daughters that we were getting ready to adopt. A Grandparent showed up just weeks before they severed parental rights and granted us adoption. It was one of the saddest things I've ever faced.

4. I knew from the minute I saw DH that he and I were meant to be together. I am so thankful that God made us friends first, though. There are many many times in our 20 years together where our friendship has sustained us. It's critical for a well-balanced marriage, in my opinion.

5. When I was a child, I was in our Community Theater's production of The Sound of Music and also Music Man. I loved the stage and acted in several church plays as well. This led to me joining the choir in junior high and the Show Chorus in high school. I still love music and the arts with a passion.

6. For a fleeting moment after I had DS 2 I wondered if I'd "ever" have a girl. It was as if God spoke loud and clear that I would ONLY have boys because we needed to raise up Godly young Men who would become excellent Fathers and Husbands. Time and time again I've known that I was supposed to be a "Boy Mom".

7. My Mom and I used to sit at the piano for hours playing and singing through the United Methodist Hymnal and the Cokesbury Hymnal. Neither of us could do too much more than pick at the keys, BUT we'd play together and sing together and I'm so glad we did.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did community theater and was in show choir as well. Those are some of my favorite growing up memories!

kreed said...

I learned some fun random things about you! My heart just about broke over the missed adoption, though. Sometimes it is so hard to understand why things happen the way they do.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Yay Methodists! :)

While I've been a member of several denominations during my life as a Christian, I'm currently Methodist.

I think I'm a "boy mom" too. The idea of having a girl just terrifies me.

Jane said...

I learned a lot about you in this list!
As a "boy" mom, I understand what you said. Boy our boys turned into fine young men. We didn't get to see our oldest's full potential but our younger son has become a wonderful Christian young man, a wonderful husband and a loving father. It is a real blessing. Take heart....grand daughters are even better than having a daughter!!!!!

Jane said...

OOPS, that would be BOTH our boys!!!

Momma Roar said...

What wonderful memories with your mom!!

I hate being around balloons popping too. Fireworks are okay, but balloons and cans of pill*sbury bread products make me feel almost ill. I feel your pain!!!! Hope you had a wonderful weekend Susan!

By the way, we finally chucked Mr. Pumpkin into the woods yesterday! Boy, did he look awful! :D heehee

Connie Barris said...

thank you for playing... I love getting to know more about you...

I can't imagine how you managed caring for so many children.. but it was definitely a God-given gift...

I'm there with you on knowing that your husband was a gift from God.. you just know...

great stuff... you are a special person....

blessings

Linda said...

I enjoyed reading these random things about you and getting to know you better. My heart just about broke reading about the foster child you almost adopted. I think it would be so hard being a foster parent then having to give them up.

samurai said...

What a nice picture into your life.

Melli said...

Ya know something weird? I don't DO loud noises either. Never have. Children screaming drives me batty! Balloons... LOUD music... But - here's the weird part -- Derek's drums don't bother me a bit! I LOVE to listen to him play! Is that crazy???

Number 7 reallllllly made me SMILE!!! I bet that is a "best" memory for both you and your mom!!!