More Info About Me

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

More Thinking...

In light of my post the other day about the guy at church, I've been especially interested in your feedback via comments. And, of course, I am still reflecting myself. I read, with interest, Danielle's thoughts on a similar (yet different) situation. Danielle brings up some extremely valid points:

If the church is God's home and who are we to determine who is welcome there or not? ...I think it is wrong, wrong, wrong to shun an individual because he/she does not act in accordance with 'mainstream' society...or the protocols put in place by man.


She's right. It's not fair for anyone, including me, to judge a person by his attitudes or actions. And I would never suggest that he doesn't belong in church anymore than me or anyone else there.

I also think, however, that there is a place for instruction. Many many people are totally unaware of social cues and/or how others perceive their actions. And, the more I think of it, the more I am certain that this is as true for you and me as it is for those who appear a bit more "out there" or "different".

My DH has mentioned the distraction of this person, and the perceived need to always add something else at the end of the service, to the pastor. And the pastor agreed that this should not be a frequent event and that it could be a turn-off for visitors and others in attendance.

I also know that this is the type of person that kind of "passes through" churches. You know until they find the next place that will give them a platform on which to be seen and/or heard.

And I know that I, too, have perhaps distracted people from focusing on Christ at times. I am sure I've done some "Spiritual Coin Clinking" of my own.

So, while we wait and see how instruction and enlightening works with the subject of my post in our weekly services, I am going to use this chance for me to get rid of those things I say or do that may distract others from their relationship with God.

Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I'll let you know how it goes.

6 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Very interesting. I also do have to say that instruction sometimes works. In college, we had chapel services, and one of the music leaders fancied himself a spiritual leader and would always give a long introduction to each song that was like a sermon. Eventually, a leader approached him and let him know that this not only was inappropriate, but it was time consuming as well. And so this guy was able to continue as a music leader, but he did abide the suggestions once someone talked to him.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

In any church,everyone should be welcome!! I think though when one individual is upsetting the entire congregation and might make the visitors wonder just what it going on here then that person needs to be talked to by the leadership of that church. No one should be made uncomfortable in any church. Everyone should be made to feel welcome!! Sandy

samurai said...

It can be hard to find that "middle ground". I think that the main thing is that the focus not be removed from the object of our worship. Wether it be in song or in the message the Pastor/Minister is presenting.

I know Sandy means well, and I see where she is coming from, but there are times when we as brothers and sisters need to come alongside one another. It is possible to present an observation without condeming a person. But, when we do so - we should also be in a position to realize that God may be trying to show us something as well.

May our Lord show you the best way to pursue this. And whoever does talk to this man, may the Lord give them wisdom in what to say.

Melli said...

Oh! Nothing has happened yet. Okay... well... I'm glad to hear that DH has spoken to the pastor and the pastor agrees. That's a step! And of course, you're right. EVERYONE must be welcome at church. But everyone DOES have to take CARE of everyone! And that means HE needs to take care of YOU as much as you need to take care of him! Which is why I think in this case it really is up to the pastor (or another church official) to talk to him and tell him that putting in a prayer request BEFORE the service is acceptable, and offering the coins around during fellowship before or after the service is fine too... but that he simply can NOT be a disturbance DURING the service. That's not fair!

Anonymous said...

I like that 'spiritual coin clinking' analogy!!! This is such a difficult topic and situation. There are a variety of ways to view it but only one way to deal with it and that is with the love of the Holy Spirit. I'm sure I got a pocket full of 'coins' also ;)

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I went back and read that other post. Tough call!! It makes you wonder if this man is truly worshiping or if he's just seeking attention. Fortunately for us, God knows this man's heart. I'm so glad He doesn't put us in a position of deciding who "gets in" !