More Info About Me

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Remember when there were "only" three doors?


As I watch, and listen, to my older boys and their friends decide their career paths, school paths, and life paths, I am continually struck by the fact that things have changed drastically over the last 20 years.

I remember being at this juncture of my life. I remember choosing a college to attend and selecting a career path. Neither were easy choices, but they were made from a smaller pool of options.

In addition to all the traditional choices for where to go and what to do at the end of high school and beyond, there are a multitude of options open to young people today. For school, you can choose traditional or nontraditional options. You can learn online or in a classroom. For a career, well the options are unbelievable. There are so many jobs that exist today that weren't even DREAMED about 20 years ago...shoot they didn't even exist 10 years ago!

Thinking back on my own "decision-making" time regarding my career, it just seemed like I had so few choices. And I really didn't even choose to "go through the curtain" on my own. A college advisor, instead, pushed me into Intro to Education and I was immediately hooked. I knew this was my "calling".

Another staggering statistic that is "out there" is that today's college graduates will change CAREERS 7 - 9 times in their lives. CAREERS. That's not just a place of business. It's not shifting within ONE company. Nope. It means they will select "one door" and a few years later could select a completely different one.

I remember the confusion and questions I had with limited options. I can only imagine what it feels like to be at this crossroad in present day. And for those people standing there, including my own sons, I wish you peace as you step forward in your journey.

13 comments:

Momma Roar said...

My oldest is 5 - I don't even want to think about it!!!! :D

Susan said...

The good thing about so many choices< and the fact that people do make 7-9 changes, is that from the very beginning they know they have options. So many, from my generation stayed in a job they hated for their life time just to get a gold watch at the end of 50 years!!!
Susan

heidi @ ggip said...

I thought I heard on NPR a few years ago that people now change careers ~3 times. I wonder if they are counting summer jobs and stuff when you are in school etc.

Anyhow, yes, times have changed, and I think it is because employers don't value their long-time committed employees anymore.

Anonymous said...

Well said Susan. It is overwhelming when 'we' think about it...but when I ask my students about it...they just take it all so 'matter of factly'...it's just their parents who are wigging out ;)

Anonymous said...

It really is mind boggling! I knew from the time I started school that I wanted to be a teacher. That made things easy for me. I hope my children will realize what is right for them and go for it!

Baba said...

Hi Susan, I knew in the tenth grade in High school that I would be a nurse.I was in the Future Nurses Club and we worked in the hospital part-time and helped the nurses with their patients.I loved it and would stay late, until my mom would call looking for me.I never wanted to leave.... Baba

Anonymous said...

Hi! Nice to meet you...I'm a career hopper. I think a lot of it has to do with the world changing so quickly around us. My interests seems to change as my career changes. (usually first) That's how Jeff knows it's about to happen :)

Anonymous said...

It's a blessing and a curse, for sure! One one hand, we have SO many options to choose from, and all of those choices really allow for the opportunity to be involved in something that we are truly passionate about for the rest of our lives. However, when you consider all of the available options, it's harder and harder to find just ONE thing that you want to be involved in. I feel extremely blessed to know, or at least have an idea of, what I want to do, and what kind of impact I want to make at my entrance to college. :)

-Leah



-Leah

PDub said...

I haven't changed careers as much as I changed colleges... I don't know how my parents put up with me. But they did and I know in my heart that they were my biggest supporters. I think that's the most important piece of the pie... being supportive.

Great post and I can't believe that you are old enough to have kids getting ready for college - you look so young!

samurai said...

I balked at that statistic when I first read it. But then I thought over my own life and thought... no, it's possible.

But then, I am wondering if they count jobs as careers that we take - even though we know we are only doing it to pay the bills until...

Still praying for you and yours...

Lazy Daisy said...

Not only that, we are educating our children for future jobs that haven't been invented yet...Sheesh...really makes me feel old suddenly.

Melli said...

It IS mind-boggling isn't it? I remember graduating High School and having NO idea what I wanted to do! Well... shoot! I STILL have no idea what I want to do! LOL! But you're right - the options were not as many back then!

It's easier for the very goal oriented. My Krysti has known for YEARS that she wanted to get into the Criminal Justice program. But for her twin, who hated school to begin with - the decision is so much harder. He's just decided to try for a Carpenter's apprenticeship - and while I hope he GETS it - because he has no OTHER plans at the moment... I also am sad, because he's got SO MUCH artistic talent that I don't want him to "not use". I feel like by going into the union he will just have a "job"... and not a passion. And he's sO passionate! But, he may find himself a little further down the road...

Sharon Bardwell said...

Ok, let's see...I have a degree in psychology with a minor in busines computer programming and so far I have worked as:

1) Accounting Clerk (twice)
2) Passenger Service Agent
3) Administrative Analyst
4) Customer Service Agent
5) Administrative/Executive Assistant
6) Business Analyst
7) Corporate Education Technology Specialist
8) Technical Writer
9) E-Manager
10) Quality Assurance Analyst
11) Communications Manager
12) Data Processing Team Lead

Guess I fit in with the 'younger' crowd more than I thought...LOL.

My son is one of the 'lost' ones...he has no idea what he wants to do. At 21, really should start to thing about it...LOL!!!