More Info About Me

Friday, August 24, 2007

When it comes to schools...


We have just finished the first week of school. As most of you probably already know, I work in a school that services some of our most needy students. And along with needy students, occasionally, come needy parents (or guardians). One of my "other" duties is Parent Drop-Off and Pick-Up. Now I LOVE this part of my job! I get to talk to parents and grandparents every single day. And some I have connected with over the years. It also gives me a glimpse into their worlds. In some cases children are living in their cars. In others, their cars are chaotic reflections of what their homes must be.

This week, a few "truths" have popped back into my mind via my contact with parents and students:

They are NOT keeping their smartest kids at home!
No matter how chaotic and crazy their worlds seem, most really do care very deeply for their children.
For the most part, parents want what's best for their kids.
And they want them to achieve better and more than they did.
Many believe that their children act the same way at home that they do at school. While some do, some really don't.
It really takes time for those parents who live in a world of distrust everyday, to develop trust for school and educators.
Some really have very limited or NO resources to help their children with academics beyond the school day.
Some are downright scared to set foot on a school campus because they have horrible images of what school was for them.

BUT

No matter what world they come from or home life they lead, ALL parents and their children deserve to be taught by passionate and committed educators!

It's my dream that one day this will be true in every classroom across the country.

16 comments:

samurai said...

I sometimes wonder what my children's teachers think of me and my beloved...

I am glad to see that God gives the heart to care for our children. Not just us as parents, but the teachers we send them to as well.

heidi @ ggip said...

Great tips and an interesting perspective. I bet it is a challenging job@

Anonymous said...

Well said. One of the most difficult issues I have is that many parents believe that the school is totally responsible for so many aspects of what I consider to be the parents' responsibilities. I have always believed that it is my job to teach my child and that school is supplemental....the difficulty for me lies in the 'truth' that you revealed here...many times the parents/caregivers are unable to really administer any kind of support academic or otherwise...some are just lazy...but others really do not have the capabilities either financially or academically to really meet their child/children's needs. I think these truths were well stated and I pray that as I age I become less judgmental about the parents I view as 'not doing their job' because many times...it's not that they don't want to...they are unable to. Well said Susan.

Anonymous said...

So true. This reminds me so much of my school setting. It is difficult to believe that was almost six years ago!

Sincerity said...

I'm a music teacher and will begin teaching in college for the first time this year.
My heart totally resonates with what you said about every child and parents having the right to receive quality education.
I also feel it is so important for teachers to truly love their students. Whenever I remember, I pray for each of my students and ask God to give me wisdom in how to communicate to parents too.
Teaching is very difficult... but so rewarding!

Jill said...

Amen! And I know those parents/guardians are really happy to have you there. You're most certainly a bright star in their day.

Momma Roar said...

Susan, I just love your heart for not only your students but their families as well! I've said it before and I'll say it again - Your school is so blessed to have you there! If only other teachers could teach with even half of the desire to touch the world that you do - what a wonderful world it would be. And, I can say this having taught for 5 years - I've met too many teachers who aren't willing to do any work because their lesson plans worked last year so why won't they work this year. The teachers who would rather hang out in the teacher's lounge all day than be with their students. I love you for your passion to teach and touch lives!!

Leigh Ann

Melli said...

I wish we could have 200 thousand Susan's teaching our children throughout the country! I do think one of the hardest things to overcome as educators is working past the "parents" who had horrible school experiences. Some of them really don't WANT to send their children in... and they are the ones who fight the "system" tooth & nail.

Amy L Buitendyk said...

Thank you very much for what you do! I always love reading what you write Susan. You are one of those educators that I pray about my children getting.

God bless you and your students this year - as He does every year!

Amy

Anonymous said...

my doctoral students are the same way -- and Mom/I treat them the same way

some are organized, others aren't; some are relatively stress free while others are carriers; some have so much debt while others are free from that anchor

but all need Mom's touch of home made meals at our house and Dad encouraging them to do their best (even it that encouragement must be a kick in the backside)

people are people and God has called us -- His people -- to love ALL the people . . . be they big or small

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. Reading a post of yours like that makes me feel like I'm talking to my mom again. I wish she were still here...I'd would send you her number. Your view on education and the power of students and parents is so similar. She loved teaching in the public school system and I know that her students adored her for her across the board education. None of her students was ever better than anyone else, no matter their background.

Tammy said...

Although we home school, I actually have a lot of respect for caring teachers like you who are passionate about helping children to learn and about kids in general.
The public school system is so blessed to have you in it, Susan!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful dream. I hope to see it come true! The school system is so lucky to have you!!!

Connie Barris said...

Thank you Susan... what a beautiful way to look at this.. I wished more people would look at these kids this way...

not only is this the truth with kids in school.. but... if we could look at our Churches this way...

I have a friend that right now the teacher is calling her child a dwarf... she is very small... and the daughter doesn't want the parents to intervene for fear of what the teacher might do.. how sad!!

so you know,,,we just need to pray.. and be that "Light"...

I wished everyone had your heart...

Susan said...

Awesome post......I to many many many years ago was blessed to be in the education field, and like you had the opportunity to see children from the "not" so normal atomospheres, Thank you for enlightening others (and reminding me) of those that have special needs.

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow Susan....you've always had my respect and prayers now I see you very definitely have your very own mission field right there in the classroom. Gotcha all prayed up.