More Info About Me

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Who Is My Neighbor?

We've been considering this question the past two weeks at church. The focus has been on worship and just what it "looks like". Last week, we watched the video of Bono accepting an award at the NAACP and talking about the "One" campaign.

Today, though, we turned church into a hands-on mission experience. We watched a video on the purpose of the church and Jesus' view of it. Then, we were introduced to five "stations" for ministry. We spent the next hour or so doing any or all of the following five activities:
  • Packing toiletry and "toy" bags for children and families in Belize. They will be flown down there by a church member later this week.
  • Writing a letter to a soldier in Iraq.
  • Packing lunch bags for a mission in our town. The lunches were delivered to the homeless after church.
  • Writing a letter via "Voice of the Martyr". This is a ministry that reaches out to those around the world who are in prison for sharing their faith.
  • Making prayer beads to share the gospel in our city and with people around the world.

And, THAT, in my opinion IS what church should be all about! All I could think was how many places DH and I have been where people might have walked right out of the church if we did that on a Sunday morning. Yet, I think it's what we're called to do...

Have a great week....and may we ALL find ways to reach out into our world and be the hands and feet of Jesus!

On another note...I'm off for a few days with my friend Debra for a "girls' getaway"...I'll check in on Tuesday when I return.

10 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow...that is wonderful. Although doing this on a Sunday morning was unique, I totally agree that this IS what the church is suppose to be about!
Have a wonderful getaway with your friend...sounds fun! :)

Mary Jo said...

Have fun on your getaway!
Love ya!

Unknown said...

Yea, that's really a great idea. That is what we are about~letting our light shine no matter where we are.

Have a wonderful day today!!!! Blessings to you.

samurai said...

Excellent. Over the weekend I bought a coupple of meals for a fellow soldier (long story, but we did not have rations other than MRE's) and I got a little flak for it.

Jesus' was not a hands off man.

I think it is awesome what your church is involved in! May God bless these efforts for His glory, and may He give you a glimpse of what He is accomplishing through this few tasks.

Susan said...

It's so wonderful when we really do become Jesus's hands & heart!

Anonymous said...

You're exactly right! *That's* what it's all about! Hands on stuff ~ the doing rather than talking about it ... it's just so very important!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You are right. And Voice of the Martyrs is unblievable. Most people have no idea what's going on. It's so hard to read, and yet we need to know.

Anonymous said...

That's great that the church is hands-on. I wish more were!

Have a wonderful wonderful time on your girls trip.

Melli said...

Well... I have sorta "mixed" feelings on this! I DO believe that these activities ARE all a part of what we should be doing! But I'm not sure I would want them to BE my Sunday service. ( I would miss my sermon...) However - IF this was what Pastor Paul decided we should be doing of a Sunday - I would CERTAINLY be there and doing it! I'd never walk out, for sure! I would just hope that he would INCLUDE his sermon while we were working! LOL! But our church is busy and active in these kinds of ways 7 days a week... so we have plenty of opportunity to do these things -- and I suspect your church does too. So probably the GOOD thing about doing it THIS way was that it got a LOT of people involved who normally don't get involved in these activities! And that's wonderful! I'm sure God was SMILING on this!!!

Anonymous said...

After Easter, our church is launching their new series called "Heroes"...based on the current hit TV show (this is not a new concept for our church..we also did Lost) anyway...one of the concepts they are working on to go along with this is the 'relational church'....now, for about the past year and a half..I have been trying to reconcile myself with alot of things in regards to my church (posted on my faith blog) however, I like this idea of Community Missions....we are developing a network of host homes..similar to small groups..but taking it a step further by having each community host home group..sponsor a project in their community...painting a home...etc...I kinda like the idea your church had also...I'm all about 'hands on'!! And I am very flattered that you have placed my on your blogroll!! Thank you. I did have a blogroll with my last blog The Whippoorwill Chronicles..but I began to get really upset that I may be leaving people out or forgetting to update..it was very stressful for me...so I just keep my bloglines..but I keep that public.