More Info About Me

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Red...To See It or Not??

OK, I'll not keep you in suspense any longer. Here's the story of "Why Red Should Be Outlawed" according to my DS 4. He and I drive to work everyday together. So we get a lot of "talk time". We also listen to a radio station that does little news tidbits every 20 minutes or so. I am pretty sure it was one of those "Info to Go" sessions that spawned this whole dialogue.

About two weeks ago:

DS 4: Mom, did you know that the color red makes your blood pressure go up?
Me: Yes, I've heard that before.
DS 4: Well, blue makes you calm. It keeps your blood pressure down.
Me: Really?
DS 4: Yes. And I would think that people would want to be healthy, right?
Me: Of course.

One week ago:
DS 4: Mom, you know how red makes people's blood pressure go up?
Me: Yes.
DS 4: I'm thinking that they should outlaw it.
Me: What? (thinking about all the tulips that I love...)
DS 4: Wellll....I guess they could keep the flowers and plants and SOME stuff. But other red things should be illegal and taken away. That way, people could be healthy because they wouldn't have high blood pressure from looking at the color red.
Me: Well, that's ONE solution.
DS 4: It'd be healthier that way.
Me: Maybe.

Two days later (driving and sitting at a stop light behind a bunch of cars in the early morning hours before the sun was completely up):
DS 4: Mom, I am TRYING not to look at red things, but it's really hard.
Me (looking at all the red tail lights in front of us): You're right, it's hard to do.
DS 4: I try to look at blue, but sometimes I can't find it.
Me: I'm sure it's OK to look at red sometime.

Later that evening (while relaying this whole "red issue" to his father):
DH: What about stop signs and things like that?
DS 4: Well, they could keep the stop signs.
DH: Blue AND green make people calmer.
DS 4: Oh, I see.
DH: It's probably OK to look at red sometimes.
DS 4: Yeah, I know, but it would be better if people didn't have to worry about high blood pressure because of it.
DH: That's true.

And so, my DS 4 thinks that we should OUTLAW the color red. Oddly enough, I was sharing this story with my friend, the Guidance Counselor, at my school. She said that there IS a school in our area that does have a "No Red" dress code due to some study about red raising activity and temperment.

We KNOW what DS 4 would do. What do you think?

14 comments:

Melli said...

Well... an increase in blood pressure would MAKE me see red! LOL! My youngest son's room is red. All 4 walls - red. HE is an angry young man! Maybe I should paint his room blue. Or green. But... but... but... RED is his favorite color! I think painting his room BLUE might make him angrier -- which would make his blood pressure go up... and then what would we do?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your son's blood pressure is going up trying to avoid red! Cute!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...red is one of my most favorite colors...perhaps at my age I should change that to blue....I think I am going to try to find the study that states this about red...it would be an interesting lecture for my motivation and emotion chapter for next week...thanks!! BTW....I just noticed the Kite Runner on your sidebar and it jogged my memory...it was your website where I saw it and decided to read it...it was an awesome book!!! Thanks!!! Same Kind of Different has been on my list also...so many books are on my list!!! Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!!

Jane said...

I think your son is a deep thinker. He will go far in life.

Tammy said...

I have a feeling your son is really bright!
I have heard of this, too...but my first thought was, What about Christmas? ;)

Anonymous said...

What a smart little guy! I like his line of thinking! I suffer with high blood pressure and will always think of this story when I see red, LOL!!

Anonymous said...

From Dad,
That put's Uncle G and Cousin Z in a tough spot.

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, he has put a lot of thought into this subject. You could tell him that red is also a happy color such as a red cardinal on a really cold grey day. Red can be a splash of color and red does get your attention such as stop lights, tail lights etc.

Damselfly said...

How cute! He's obviously concerned about blood pressure. I hope he learns the other causes of high blood pressure as well. ;)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What will your DS4's career turn out to be? Philosopher? Doctor? Psychologist? Lawmaker? The world awaits!

Travelin'Oma said...

I just ran across your blog and I loved the red philosophy. My house is full of red and I AM highly excitable, and even stressed much of the time. I guess I need to redecorate. For my health....

Anonymous said...

WOW, Susan! I'm in trouble...my favorite color is RED! I have quite a few articles of red clothing, my Highlander was red, my husband's truck is red, we have two red walls in our living room ~ AND my blood pressure tends to be normal to low! Soooo, I'm not so sure that study is totally accurate. Unless, of course, I'm an exception to the rule. LOL

Blessings to you.

samurai said...

I love how children's mind wrap around subjects. How they take in the information and then turn it over and over in their minds.

Sort of like how Jesus tells us to come to Him like little children...

My favorite color is Royal Blue... but I married a redhead. Hmm... hahahaha.

Thank you for showing us why Red should be outlawed! :)

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Well without the color red the world would not be a happy place for me because I love that color. I like it on me!! I feel good in red!! It is a happy color to me!! Without red what would christmas be? What would Valentines day be? What would lipstick be? OH!! I would hate that!! Nope we have to keep RED...sorry DS #4 I have to keep red...Sandy