More Info About Me

Sunday, March 04, 2007

By George, I think he's got it!!

As some of you know, we have had a change in our household this year. DH is no longer pastoring full time. He is coaching and consulting with churches throughout the country. This meant that we had to leave our church and go looking for one. It's hard because we come from a "traditional" denomination, but not a traditional church. It was a unique place with unique vision, unique worship and unique ministry.

I fretted for several months before our move about where we would go. I prayed that we would be able to give the new pastor transition time then go back to this church that we loved (even though it's 35 miles away). I, once again, am reminded though that my ways are not always God's ways.

Instead He led me to a church five minutes from my house through a pretty neat set of circumstances. I thought the "test" would be if my DSs 3 and 4 also liked it there. DS 4 hasn't been so sure...I think the change of familiar people has been hardest on him. DS 3 has liked it since our first visit. (DSs 1 and 2 stayed at our old church due to Youth Group and relationships--although DS 1 is now looking--but that is another blog for another day). So, that is where we have been since our move.

After I got it in my head that I couldn't expect anyone to preach like my DH...because each pastor is unique with unique passions, delivery, and style...I actually started settling down and asking God to teach me each week. And I'm learning.

Today we began a series the pastor is calling Eufouria...He knows it's not spelled correctly...it's a play on the word because there are four ways we bring a "Euphoric" state to God via our worship. Today he talked about that moment when you are completely removed from yourself and totally surrendered to God and His will. He used the story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac to make this point. It was at that point when Abraham was raising the knife to sacrifice his son that he was completely out of it and surrendered to God...and thankfully, God showed mercy and spared Isaac. The pastor called this state of being, "zeroed out".

Anyway, he went on to talk about obedience and how we need to get out of the way "zero out" and obey God. He said, God doesn't want us to be "takers"...

About this time, DS 4 leaned over to me and said, "God only wants us to be givers." The pastor echoed DS 4's words from the stage. Upon the "confirmation" from the pastor, DS 4 leaned over again and said to me, "I'm really 'getting' this Bible down!" (Thank you for sharing, son, now listen to the rest of the sermon.)

As we were driving home, the kids and I were talking about the pastor's message and church in general. We were talking about the fact that the older boys haven't been as "Wowed" by this church as we have the one and only time they visited. DS 4, in all his 8-yr-old wisdom said, "Well..I didn't like it at first either. But I'm starting to. And I'm really learning the Bible, right Mom?" Yes, son, you are...thanks for sharing!!

Who knows? Maybe I should pull out some verses about "Being still" and quiet...they just might help with his
TMI head issues!! Or better yet, maybe I could make some suggestions for the pastor's NEXT series!!

2 comments:

Melli said...

LOL! YAY! Go DS4! I smiled reading this because (my dear) Pastor Paul used the Abraham/Isaac story in HIS sermon last week too! I missed church this week... it's amazing how quickly I've become accustomed to having that "fix" in my life! I hope your older boys find what they are looking for and get their church stuff straightened out soon. Does Hubby like the new church?

Anonymous said...

S...did you forget that TMI is genetic in the N's??!! :-)
Glad you all are feeling comfortable with the new church. Can't wait to hear the DS1 story!
LY..C