Thirteen Things about the Broadway ShowWICKED(which I get to see a second time this weekend)
I am so excited that I get to see Wicked again! This time, the "girls" in my family are going to make it a "Girls' Evening Out". It should be great fun. I've been warming up by listening to the music and just can't wait to see it again. So, here's my TT... 1. This show is the story of the Witches of Oz BEFORE Dorothy.
2. It tells the story of Glinda the Good Witch and the Wicked Witch of the West.
3. They were "friends" before they grew up.
4. There is a dragon that hovers over the stage the entire time. Hence my choice of TT border today.
5. The Wicked Witch of the West is seriously "misunderstood" in this "pretelling" of the story.
6. It tells the tale of friendship and love with a thread of reconciliation in it.
7. It tells the tale of wanting desparately to be loved by those around you. The ending, which I did not know before I went, BLEW ME AWAY!!
8. My favorite song from it is a duet between Glinda and Elphaba (Wicked Witch of the West) called "For Good". It's GORGEOUS!!
9. You also learn a little more about the Tin Man, Lion, and Scarecrow in this story.
10. The music is rich and mystical all at once.
11. The week DH and I saw it in NYC, it broke all records for the highest grossing week in Broadway history with 1.8 million dollars.
12. While not appropriate for children under 4, I think it would be a GREAT way to introduce the theater to children.
13. Reviewers say it's popular because it is a story that "adults can take seriously". I think it does a fantastic job of weaving elements of the "known" (The Wizard of Oz story) with the "unknown". I believe it's a GREAT match!!
Happy Thursday!!
Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
|
13 comments:
I have some friends who are ga-ga over this show. And their teenaged girls are, too. In fact, one girl just went to New York for a Christmas present a while back and saw it. It was her dream come true.
I read "Wicked" about 2 years ago and I still haven't been able to see the broadway show, but I definitely want to. Have fun! :)
Cool. I live such a sheltered life, I never HEARD of it. Sounds wonderful though.
I posted a Thankful today on my other blog...Child of God. Come by and say hi if you have time.
That sounds like loads of fun. I think it is a cool thing to do with the 'girls'. Have a great time.
My T13 is up.
My sister saw it and thinks it's wonderful. I'd love to see it, too. Would you mind sharing with a fellow Floridian where it happens to be showing? (I'm in Broward County. Anywhere close to me?)
I enjoyed the book. A very different tale to be sure.
I hope to see it when it rolls through town here soon!
Rachel and Dave went last week...they had a blast. Enjoy seeing it again!
Are you seeing it a Tampa Bay or at Bob Carr?
I'm looking forward to it. Your hints will help as I haven't researched any of the story.
LY...C
Ohhhh man! You're getting to see it a SECOND time? I haven't even seen it ONCE yet -- and it is definitely on my list of MUST sees! Krysti wants to see it too! (she's usually my theater partner!) You ladies have a GRAND time this weekend! I'll be thinkin' about ya!
I can hardly wait Sus! I'm sure we will all have a great time!!
C
My kids are involved in a large homeschool drama troupe that's putting on an extravaganza in April, "100 Years of Broadway." My daughter and a friend are performing a duet on "For Good" and I can hardly wait! We're new fans of "Wicked" and hope to see it in Dallas. What fun!
Ok, I am soooooo jealous that I could easily turn green. I've read the book and love the music but have yet to see the production.
Oh, I love Wicked too! Wish I could see it a second time... I agree that "For Good" is one of the best (if not *the* best) songs in the show.
Post a Comment