I took DSs 3 and 4 to the eye doctor on Saturday. I confess they have not been to a "real" eye doctor before. (I think somebody had a thing on their blog about a Loser Mommy---this "might" qualify!) Anyway, DS 4 is the person that sparked the visit because he has been seeing double. I haven't been for a while, so I decided to check my perscription as well...and I wanted sunglasses. DS 3 said, "I've been having trouble seeing the board." So we made it a "threesome".
DS 4 went first. He has to flex his eye muscles to help them see only one thing. No glasses. Vision is fine.
DS 3 went second. I stayed outside with DS 4 for this visit.
I went third. When I entered the room, the doctor said, "Your son is nearsighted. He needs glasses." Oops. Shrinks down into the exam chair wondering just how long the 12-year-old has had blurrd vision.
Then came the shopping part. Now DS 3 is not happy about wearing glasses. I know some of you have worn them all your lives. And I know it's really no big deal...but when you're 12 and when you're a boy and when...well you get the picture. We shopped for about 40 minutes looking for the "right" pair for him. In that time, I got two pairs (sun and regular).
In the course of our visit, we decided that DS 3 could get contacts. But I told him he still needed a pair of frames as back-ups. We finally settled on a pair.
Last night, I took him to pick up his frames. You would have thought that he was seeing the world for the FIRST TIME! Everything. Signs on the way home. Trees and their leaves. The carpet and it's piling. He couldn't believe how the TV looked (and we HAVE HD!).
And as I watched him, I realized that this is kind of how we are sometimes. We see through the clouds, our vision is blurry, and we can't tell what's "up ahead" in our lives. Then, suddenly, something changes. We get new perspective. A new angle. A fresh look. And it all looks different. I think this is what happens when Jesus gets ahold of us. We see people and things and situations in brand new ways.
Today, I'm going to try to see the world through new lenses. Maybe we'll call them "Jesus Glasses". And maybe, just maybe, the old will be brand new!!
9 comments:
What an awesome analogy!
We all wear glasses too so I can relate. Very good post. Love the comparison.
Have a great day and blessings to you, Susan.
Great blog! I scared myself to death, not knowing you had party music on, and I had my volume WAY UP (as one of my kids left it that way). WOOOOOH! Party when I opened your blog ;o)
Best wishes!
"Jesus Glasses." I LOVE it!! Isn't it fun being on the other end when someone "sees" something for the first time?
Man, "now we see darkly..." I am one of those who have worn glasses since I can remember. I'm glad you got it sorted out.
I liked your post about the state testing. Thank you for taking the time to do that. :)
Grandpa wasn't happy getting glasses as a teen. Dad had nixed the idea that I needed them. When I failed the eye test at school, he took me for an exam.
In the meantime, I memorized the eye chart and passed my drivers test for a learner's permit. I gave me driver's ed teacher an "interesting" time before I got my glasses.
No, I did not like them. But, I did like seeing!!
Dad
It also reminds me of when we get to heaven and see things clearly for the first time, questions answered, etc. Great post.
How cool! I know exactly what your son was seeing -- it always amazes me when I get new glasses how well I see things! Now... I want some of those Jesus Glasses! I REALLY want some of those!!!
I got my first pair of glasses at age-10, and the prescription was something like 300/20 for that first pair.
It's amazing the difference they make in daily life. I have been so thankful I live now-- in the era of hi-index (etc etc) plastics.
Post a Comment