I have it: Guilty Mother Syndrome! Here's why: When DSs 1 and 2 were about 3 and 4 years old, we went to the fair and played the ping pong ball in the bowl game. And we "won"--not ONE but TWO fish! We had no fish tank or goldfish bowl. We took them home, and put them in a Tupperware bowl on the counter. One died in about 24 hours. The other one, though, was quite a fighter. He was still alive when the bowl turned pretty nasty. And he showed no signs of slowing down. I confess, I flushed him alive! I didn't tell the kids he died...only that I had to get rid of the water and thus, he had to go too. They were a bit heart broken, but soon got over it.
Fifteen years later (tonight) I took DS 4 to the fair. He has been telling me for DAYS that the ONLY thing he wanted to do at the fair was throw the ping pong ball into a bowl for a fish. I've given him hundreds of reasons WHY we shouldn't play that game. I "forgot" to tell him that fish one might die in 24 hours and fish two might be flushed by his fish-killer Mother. I figure some things are simply better left unsaid.
I thought I could distract him. I thought we'd get through the midway without finding a ping pong ball game...and we almost succeeded...except the first Bumper Cars were broken and we ended up on the second one. Right there, off the exit of that ride was the cheapest game on the midway, the Ping Pong Ball Toss.
I let him throw the first ten balls for $2, while I talked to my brother on the cell phone. I TOLD Dan to "pray that none went in"...and they didn't. DS 4 came to me with HUGE crocodile tears and said, "I have two dollars at home, can I PLEASE try one more time? I'll pay for it." I gave in....especially since I was still talking to Dan and his prayer "worked" the first time. I told him to pray again...and soon after my request was made, the FIRST ball landed in the bowl of water....then less than three balls later...the second ball went into the bowl. DS 4 excitedly came over with his two new fish. To say his face was glowing would be an absolute understatement.
Here's where the Guilty Mother Syndrome kicks in. Knowing that I do NOT want to be known as a fish-killer, and wanting to avoid having goldfish slime in a bowl on my counter, I decided that I wanted to help DS 4 be a successful goldfish owner. We went to Petland with his left over Christmas gift cards and he is now the proud owner of this goldfish tank (see below).
Our conversation on the way home was a DS 4 "classic". Holding the two bags gingerly in his lap, he announced, "This one's name is Swimmy. And THIS one is 'Swimmy Joe'." The car grew quiet as I pondered THAT. Then he said, "Swimmy likes me already! He's getting used to me!" He quickly added, "Mom, I think Swimmy Joe is one of those nervous fish. He is missing his home at the fair. But, he'll get used to me soon." Then he proceeded to talk reassuring "fish talk" to this bag of water for the next few minutes.
I "hope" Swimmy Joe IS just missing his home at the fair..and news didn't spread too fast that he was going home with that horrible Mother that killed his great great great great grandfish!
They don't look too stressed, do they??
14 comments:
Susan, If confession is good for the soul then I would say your soul is doing great tonight!! smile!! You will be a good fish mommy!! We all have to go through these things with kids. We had two gold fish once...Susie and Charlie. They only lived for a little bit coming to the top of the fish bowl..One at a time!! But we had two fish once upon a time!! Sandy
Susan, I had to chuckle! What a good Mom you are. Fish are a pain and are so hard to keep alive. I always told my daughter that we would never have any. Leave it to Grandma to go behind my back and buy her one. Guess what she named her very first fish? SWIMMY! Just like your son! That fish was dropped down the drain a few times while cleaning the bowl and it wouldn't die for anything, LOL. Under my breath, I was wishing to say *bye bye fishy* but it just never happened, LOL. We moved about 8 hours away and Swimmy had to go to a new home. *Thank goodness* and that's the very last fish we ever had.
I hope your son enjoys his fish. Sounds like he's already taking such good care of them!
Hey Susan,
Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love your blog layout and your story made me chuckle, we have loads of fish in our house, a whole 6ft and 4ft tank of them we've even gone through stages of local "fair" goldfish but they don't ever last long do they?!
Hugs to you today,
Mandyxx
PS, I love Wicked and you will love the book as much as the musical, it's a brilliant read :)
May my children never know the evil ways of there Aunt!!! LOL!
C~
Susan, this story cracked me up!! Be sure your sins will find you out! HA HA...just kidding. I know the feeling!!!
Thanks for sharing this and I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Blessings to you.
And just how many more "skeletons" are there?? Sure love that little guy...he's so animated and loving of any creature he meets! Good luck with the new "grandfish"!
LY...C
Susan - you are toooo funny!!
Susan - you are toooo funny!!
Susan,
I hope DS 4 is enjoying his fish!!My kids have afew fish, that mom ended up taking care of....such is life.
Fish are not as messey as hamsters.My kids had them one time; if the mommy hamster has more babies than she can feed; she bites their heads off!! This was bad trauma , we had years ago.So be thankful for little fishey.
Baba
Oh no....I'm crushed and disillusioned. Your secret is safe with the whole blogsphere! They looked like they will be long livers!
That's a fun story! I look forward to Swimmy and Swimmy Joe updates :)
Susan, you have no idea how RELIEVED I am that you bought that aquarium! I couldn't fathom WHY you would flush a perfectly good fish rather than just change his water!!! ROFL! Confession IS good for the soul -- and guilt is good for the fish! I hope Swimmy AND Swimmy Joe live long and do NOT multiply!
What cute stories you have! My oldest is just starting to get to this age...thanks for the tips on how to avoid playing "the game."
LOL!!! I'll never tell!
Congrats on the new tank.
xo
LBC
Post a Comment