More Info About Me

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Birthday Meme: August 7th

Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee tagged me with this fun Birthday Meme. To play, you go to Wikipedia and enter your birthdate sans the year. I typed the WHOLE thing up last night to post and then the BLOGGER MONSTER ate it! Sooooo....here we go again:

You report 3 events, two birthdays, one death and one holiday type thing. Tag 5 more people.

AUGUST 7th
Events
1944 - IBM dedicates the first program-controlled calculator, the Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator (known best as the Harvard Mark I).
1955 - Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, the precursor to Sony, begins selling its first Transistor radios in Japan.
1991 - World Wide Web debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.

Two births:
1876 - Mata Hari, Dutch spy (d. 1917)
1975 - Charlize Theron, South African actress

Death: 2005 - Peter Jennings, Canadian-born news anchor (b. 1938) (This was a sad day for me. He was quite a news anchor, in my opinion.)

Special Event or Holiday:
Emancipation Day is a national holiday in the Turks and Caicos Islands similar to the Bahamas. (The Turks and Caicos Islands are located next to the Bahamas and share a similar culture and history.) It is celebrated on August 7.

(From Susan: This is "nice" but based on the events noted above, I'm thinking we should rename it "World Technology Day" or something like that!)

Tag 5 More People: (Since this is where I went "bad" yesterday, and lost my post...I'm going to "SUGGEST" that the following five people participate--without linking to them. If you don't see your name here, and you'd like to play, just let me know and I'll come over and visit.)

Dan--Dan's Place; Christie and Greg--Carrkaylary; Heather--Red Headed Rants and Rambles; Lynn--Seeking Thin Spaces; Mary--Crankin' Out the Hits (See my blogroll for links...I'm not going there again.) :-)

2 comments:

Melli said...

I did this one a little while back -- it's a fun one! Mata Hari, huh?

I started reading the Kite Runner today! It starts out good - if this keeps up I'll be doing a LOT of pedaling! :)

Anonymous said...

That was fun! I may play along some time next week if that is okay. You have some important events that share your birthday!