
The pastor at the church we've been attending has been talking about "Do-Overs". Remember when we were kids and we would play a game that didn't go our way? We'd say, "Do Over!" And usually the play started from the beginning (or at least some agreeable spot) again. Here's an interesting definition of a "Do Over" from Streetplay.com
Sometimes, passions were too strong, convictions too deep, perspectives too contrasting to reach agreement on a call. Still, it was understood that unless the opposing team was being absolutely unreasonable or cheating,
preserving friendships and, even more importantly, continuing the game took
precedence over a specific play. After the proper amount of heated
discussion had taken place,one of the player would finally extend the
proverbial fig-leaf by offering his opponent a "do-over", as in "you can do
it again."
The do-over was one of childhood's most powerful rites, for it exerted our dominion over the laws of space and time. The clock was rolled back, the game was restored to its exact status as before before the contested event and play was resumed. If the original play was particularly important and the second attempt was dramatically different (e.g. the player striking out instead of hitting a multi-base shot as in the original play), the do-over might be invoked again. This second invocation would give the team another chance thereby insuring that the universal forces of fair play were being righteously maintained.
Yes, it is with fond memories that we recall the do-over a divine method of resolution, and contemplate the untold blessings it could bring if it were somehow extended into our contemporary lives.
Anyway, the Pastor's point has been that we often need "Do Overs" in our day-to-day adult lives and our spiritual lives. He has been talking about many people who got to "Do Over" in the Bible.
Like many of us, I suppose, I think I am in need of a "Do Over". I prayed at the beginning of January for a "Word" for the year. My focus word was "Mold Me". It brought to mind that beautiful example of God being the Potter and me (and you) being the clay that he wants to mold.
Unfortunately, I stand again before Him a bit "cracked". See, I am a "do-it-yourselfer"...it's part of my control freak nature. It's how I'm wired. I tend to throw myself in to too many things at once and say, "Sure, I can do that!" "And that!" "And that!" I am convinced that it's when I take control and try to decide what I'll do and when I'll do it that I start to CRACK! I am, after all, a CRACKED POT!
Friday night we also watched "Click" with Adam Sandler. First of all, I
should know that almost anything with Sandler in it could be a bit on the
edge...and possibly inappropriate. I remember reading my brother Dan's Post about this a while ago. Anyway, Sandler plays a working father who is trying to "get ahead" and achieve success. He gets this remote control that allows him to control his world (something that makes a control freak like me perk up her ears). He ends up missing so many things and realizes it "too late". See, he NEEDED a "Do Over" (which he DOES get at the end). He needed to see, though, that the bumps in the road are part of the total experience. I love it when he's talking to the "angel" that gave him the remote. He explains...while we look back and wish hadn't done this or that...every click of the remote was a result of decisions that HE was making...not the remote. His decisions weren't always focused right. His priorities were OUT OF WHACK and basically, he too, was a CRACKED POT!
Personally, I think it was that perspective (the ability to look back) that
helped him see how important each decision is....
So, while I say "Yes, Lord, I'd like a 'Do Over' please..." I also have to say, "Thank you, Lord, for the cracks." I think it's those cracks that make me KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not ME who should be in control...but HIM...the master craftsman. They are, in essence, perspective for me. They push me to allow the "Do Over" to happen...once again.
And, this 'cracked pot' is awful glad that He's willing to keep the clay on the wheel
and remold it when necessary!!
12 comments:
Very nicely written Susan...do-overs...Personally I don't want any do overs because knowing me I would mess it up the second time too!! I have enjoyed what I have lived through and I will just take it the way it went the first time!! God gives us choices and when we don't make the right choices well then we have to learn through that lesson we are SUPPOSED to learn!! Right? I try to learn but not always does that happen....Hope your Sunday is going well...Sandy
Thank you for visiting my blog.
Good word on do overs. How often I've wished for one. The next best thing is not regretting what I can't change and like you, asking Him to mold me so perhaps some day, I won't need so many do overs.
We recently watched Click as well. It really does have a powerful message. (I think it was the death angel, come to steal his life. Hmmmm?)
Anyway,don't we all need a "do-over" from time to time. I love the idea of the cracks as you said. Sometimes it is our learning stripes, isn't it? Some of the most beautiful art is not perfect.
If I had a chance to "do-over" some of my mistakes I would have also missed out on so many blessings that came out of the lessons, (one of which is now a beautiful 5 year old little girl, and one of the greatest reasons I live and breathe)
Amen. From one crack pot to another "cracked pot" ;)
Great post... this was a refreshing read... if nothing else than to help me take a moment to rest in the Potter's hands as He molds me to repair and shape me.
Have a glorious week!
Hey - this is wild. You need to go to http://fruitinseason.blogspot.com and read her latest post. It's about a "cracked pot" too. Very interesting.
Love ya girl!
WOW, that is an awesome lesson. I often need a 'do over' to fix a mess I have gotten myself into. God is gracious to forgive and let me start again.
From one 'cracked pot' to another...ain't God good!!!
I had faith that I would find you again!!!! I used to read you way long ago...but when I started messing around with my template and blogroll...well...I lost you out in cyberspace...but guess what?? you found me on my front porch and I am so glad..I have recently learned about bloglines, so you can't disappear again! thanks for stopping by and saying hello!!!
Me again, bloglines said you don't have an RSS feed...so I will make sure I have you bookmarked...by the way...Christine at Fruit in Season http://.fruitinseason.blogspot.com has a cracked pot post also :)
Oh, there are many moments in my life that I look back on and cringe. Usually stupid things that I said; causing pain or anger in those I loved and respected.
I'm so glad the Lord forgives. I hope other show such divine sufferance.
This is really good writing, Susan. A lot to think about.
My "word" for this year was a phrase..."God is God, let Him be." It's a lot to chew on...so I'm chewing...your blog was good food!!
Hello Susan!! Thanks fo visiting my blog.
This is very good. I am also a cracked pot, but I have learned to like my cracks as each one is a valuable lesson learned. My word for this year is "Focus", keeping the main thing the main thing. Focusing my eyes on Jesus.
This was a good post. Thank you and God bless you!
Post a Comment