
Some of my blogging friends have either commented or emailed me in the last couple of weeks to ask what is happening with DH and his move. I realized that I sent out an email to family and friends weeks ago explaining, but didn't ever put it on the blog.
As you may have guessed, DH's last day pastoring churches was last Sunday. He is not leaving the ministry. He's called to it. His call, however, has shifted a bit. DH will be consulting with churches full time. He has contracts with over 300 churches in our denomination and many outside as well.
It was not an easy decision to switch. But it seemed like the right thing at the right time. It was amazing to watch how quickly contracts and inquiries came in once he started "putting it out there".
His goal is to coach churches to unify on their core values, bedrock beliefs, vision and mission thus creating a permission-giving spirit and a positive ministry environment. Many churches aren't "getting it" as they have moved into this century. We can't keep "doing church" the way we've always done it.
I am excited to see what this next chapter in DH's ministry brings. I think the hard thing for me, right now, will be not listening to DH preach. He's been "my pastor" for 20 years! And, I really DO like hearing him preach.
We are not moving. We just bought our house last year, so we'll stay here which allows the kids and life pretty much to stay status quo. The major difference is that DH, DS 4 and I will have to find a new church for now. We're hopeful that, after a period of transition, we'll be able to rejoin the congregation we just left.
The new pastor (who we have known several years) and his family have been VERY gracious to permit the older boys to stay put. He also has said that they want to be very sensitive to the possibility of us being able to come back even before the entire traditional "year waiting period" is up. We're grateful that he will be taking the helm of our church...it made us leaving easier as we KNOW it's in the right hands.
So, that's what's going on in our neck of the woods. And, now you know the scoop.
2 comments:
Thanks for stopping by Susan. I thought you also did these Photo hunts but I guess not!!
I did not think that you were moving in the first place because I just could not see you doing that not now with the boys at the ages that they are. I figured that your husband was doing something like you just explained. Good for him.
Sandy
How sad and exciting all at once! I guess I'm not sure on how this pastoring for a ministry works... but I don't UNDERSTAND why you have to leave your church just because someone else is going to be the pastor. Why can't you just stay and go to that church anyway?
I CAN understand that you're going to miss listening to Hubby preach! WOW! After 20 years... I can't imagine! Maybe he will put together sermon's just for you and the kids from time to time! LOL!
It does sound like his new job is going to be VERY exciting and challenging though! Ohhhhh I know a few church's that would SO balk at doing things a new way! That DO balk! But your hubby is absolutely right! The generations have changed - and the churches MUST change too! And we simply MUST find a way to get more people BACK to church!
My prayers go with your family on this new adventure!!! And I hope we get to hear about some of the more interesting circumstances!
Post a Comment