More Info About Me

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Piles

Hello!  My name is Susan, and I'm a piler.  When I am limited on time, shoot, even when I'm not, I will lay things in a pile to deal with later.  This is especially true in my bedroom where my clothes get put after they run through the laundry.  Tonight I was thinking about this silly routine I go through:

In the morning I sort the clothes pile onto my bed with intentions to hang it up and put it away at night.  Then, when I am ready to go to bed, I think, "I can't do it tonight.  I'll do it later."  And I return the pile to it's resting place until the morning.  Then it starts again in the morning.  Tonight I looked at the pile and decided I was going to hang it up.  It took 10 minutes.  Ten.  That's it!  Yet, I've probably done the pile shuffle for literally two weeks.

Of course, there's a lesson.  First of all, just do the job.  It's not that hard to do.  I was thinking just how many times I decide I'm going to work on something in my personal life and instead of really digging in and dealing with it, I shove it aside in a "to do pile".  Although life piles don't go away so quickly, they can still go away with a little intentional work.  And, like my clothes pile, it's SO. MUCH. BETTER. when it's not looming somewhere waiting to be dealt with!

So, excuse me, I have to go clean up a bit...



1 comment:

allie. said...

Oh Susan!
I'm exactly like you :-)
Tidying, for me, often turns out to just be moving a pile to a less in-the-way place.

I wonder if we'll ever get it right, even knowing it only takes 10 mins to fix properly!