While talking to him, the light turned green. I hit the gas. Apparently, it was too slow for the cranky gentleman in the car behind me. He and a woman were riding in the car together. He LAYED on the horn. I thought, "Certainly he's not honking at me! I am moving forward. What ELSE could he want?" As soon as we were safely across the intersection, he went to the lane beside me and gave me a gesture or two while obviously screaming at me as if I could hear him.
It was a sight to see.
But, even more of a sight was what was stuck to the back of his luxury vehicle. Not one, but TWO of these signs:
There was one stuck over each of the back lights so you could see it no matter which side of his car you were on. Two! And, in my not-so-angelic thoughts I said, "Yeah buddy, you SHOULD keep Christ in Christmas!"
That was two days ago.
This morning I ran out to finish up some of the school's holiday shopping for needy kids. I drove around the parking lot a couple of times and spotted a lady pulling out of a front space. I looked around to be sure no more cars were waiting. None. I put my blinker on. She saw me.
Just as the driver pulled out, a lady in a red truck sped around from an aisle over and went in the space. I layed on horn. I pointed to my blinker. I hollered as if she could hear me. She looked at me and hollered back saying, "I was over there!" (I am a pretty good lip reader.) So I said, "I was RIGHT HERE!" She didn't care. She parked. I drove away to find another space.
Then, right there in the parking lot, I had to thank God that I didn't have a "Keep Christ in Christmas" sticker on MY car! Even though I didn't gesture rudely to her. I was obviously MAD. She knew it. There was no way to hide it.
So, I think maybe we should consider a new bumper sticker: "Keep Christ in your CAR!" I know. I know. You can't put him in your car anymore than you can pin down a cloud...but I'm sure you get my drift. The fact of the matter is...he's there. Shoot, he's EVERYWHERE. And we all need to be mindful of it. So maybe I'll change my sticker to just say: "Keep Christ"!
Happy Tuesday!
6 comments:
This is so true. And so hard! I had a similar 'incident' about a year ago and I know what you mean. I felt the same way. It's just so hard behind the wheel to keep the flesh in check.
I think MINE would say Keep Christ in your Heart... and that's where I'll keep it pinned too! Because the ONLY time I don't want people to know I'm a Christian is when I'm being a BAD Christian! Oy!
I don't know what it is about this time of year. It seems like common courtesy, and even common sense, just flies out the window! I am by no means perfect, but it is sad to see that at this time of year such things going on.
Susan, at least you are up front about what you did. Most people have the attitude like that woman who zipped around like that.
I've been witness to someone doing some rude thing like that with a Jesus sticker of some kind on their auto. We all need to be so extra careful of our behavior ALL the time as we do represent our Lord, even without bumper stickers!!!
Susan
This made me laugh. I know it's not exactly funny, but it is SO TRUE! We are human. We screw up. That is why we DO NEED Christ. Because he covers our sins.
Have a very Merry Christmas!
Haven't most of us been there! I went shopping with my husband on Saturday and warned him that if he couldn't control his temper with other drivers/shoppers that I didn't want him along. He behaved better than I did. :)
I try my best to have plenty of time during the holiday season, because the stress just makes people act rudely. I'd like to be that one smiling face, patient person who is the breath of fresh air amid the chaos. It's so much easier said than done, but I try.
That's the way I try to "keep Christ" at Christmas.
Post a Comment