More Info About Me

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

From a Rut to a Rollercoaster...

To say life had fallen into a rut of sorts around the first of October would be an understatement. It wasn't a horrible "rut of no return". No. It was just one of those seasons when life seems to plod on day by day, week by week. And things stay pretty much the same.

Then, October 12th came.

That was the day I found out about LG needing a place to stay. It was the day that the counselor at my school "just happened" to ask if our foster care license was active.

October 12th was followed by the 13th.

That was the day that the rest of my family decided to open their arms to this sweet girl and become her "for now" family. It was also the day that we were told that there is the potential to be a "forever family" to her.

And the roller coaster ride began! At the end of this week, LG will have lived in our home for one month. A month that does not feel like 30 days. No. It feels like a lifetime. In fact, in many ways, I cannot really remember life without her.

My boys continue to amaze me at every twist and turn. They love this little girl--their sister! My DH is loving having a "princess" in the house. And I love watching the whole thing unfold.

I feel like a new parent in that this is what I most want to blog about. I suppose it is not that different than if I'd have just given birth. She's still new to us. And every day is a day of wonder. As I learn more about her, I also learn more about me.

In one month's time, she's blended in well at church, begun to learn more about her new "family", started gymnastics, and enrolled in the YMCA program. In one month's time we've learned to understand "girlie giggles" a little better, remember the importance of the family dinner table, make sure everyone has time to let down and breathe a bit in the day.

As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches I could not be more thankful! My heart is bursting with love and joy and happiness for so many people and events.

I can hardly believe that a month ago I was feeling so "rutty"....Thinking back to the mundane rut, I can say with certainty that I much prefer the rollercoaster! As time marches on, I'm going to enjoy the ride!


9 comments:

Baba said...

Hi Susan, I am so happy that your family has blended so well with LG over this past month..you and your family have always been a close knit team...wishing all of you a great Thanksgiving with many blessings ahead to enjoy and cherish!!!
Love you, Baba

Carmen said...

Wow...what an amazing post! I think it's so awesome that your family has grown, and with little girl giggles!! As a mother of 4 boys, I'm SO excited for you all! Congratulations!

Melli said...

30 days ALREADY??? Wow! Time flies! Not a day goes by that I don't think how BLESSED she is and YOU are by having her! When I think about this situation, it just makes me HUG God! It is sO amazingly wonderful... I love to read everything you write too!

Susan said...

Thank you for letting us take this wonderful ride with you.
Susan

Merrie said...

What a blessing! God is so much fun! He stretches us to reach out and bless others and in the meantime, we get our socks blessed off and our lives changed forever.
Thank you so much for sharing your life with us.
Blessings~

Mary Jo said...

That's awesome, Susan. :) I'm so happy that God has just entertwined this little girl with your family in such a way that you don't even remember "life without her" ya know? That's so sweet!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Hugs,
Mary

Aunt Angie said...

Susan I loved this. It reminded me of a dear friend, who after raising 5 of her own, she and her husband felt called to become foster parents. After taking in several, they took in a precious girl of about a year old and she became their forever child. They had to quit foster parenting due to some health reasons and too, the stress of releasing those precious ones back into the unknown of the family situation.

The blessings of this little girl into their lives are indescribable! She is a complete joy! Now, their family is complete with 4 boys and 2 girls! What a GOD we serve!

I so enjoy reading your heart Susan!

Lazy Daisy said...

Praise the Lord for the roller coaster rides (wiping a stray tear or two after reading your post). This is such a God Thing and I love that your guys have so willingly embraced the change. Gotcha all prayed up. Enjoy the thrill of each new day with this added gift!

kt said...

Amen, Susan!!! PTL.