We met 27 years ago this coming Fall. It was our freshman year of college. I don't know exactly HOW it happened, but I'm so glad it did!The year was 1982. Three of us lived in the same dorm. We had a very large group of friends who enjoyed hanging out, walking around the lake that bordered our college, laughing, eating pizza, talking till all hours of the night and learning together. We went to church together. We participated in campus activities together. It wasn't long until the four of us decided that we would room somewhat together the following year: Beth with Leigh and Lala with me.
Beth and Leigh lived downstairs. Lala and I lived upstairs. Still, we were often found in each other's rooms. Since we were all Elementary Education majors, we even shared many classes. As the years went by, we continued to laugh and cry and grow together.
I cannot describe how precious these friendships were (and are) to me. I can tell you, though, that I know it was a very special time. The four of us shared everything with one another. I can honestly say that DH and I are probably together today because two of these girls asked HIM to take me to my sorority formal. There is no question that they set it in motion.
A short year after we graduated, three of us were married. Two years later, the fourth was married. All of us were in each other's weddings. I'm sure there were times we vowed to "stick together" even as our lives changed and we began our families. And in some ways we have. Over the years, one or two of us would get together and catch up.
Still, sometimes life and time get in the way of nurturing relationships. It happens and it's sad. The last time the four of us were together at the same time was about 18 years ago. Until now.
What we have is a real bond. It is a precious "forever friendship" that withstands the test of time and distance. I could not be more blessed. It is so true that a true friend is a treasure...and these are true forever friends!
One thing we know for sure after our time away is that it won't be another 18 years before we are together again!
13 comments:
I love this story. True friends do weather through everything... even the seasons of friendship.
Wow - what a great story! I can only imagine how much fun the 4 of you had...what an amazing story. My high school "friendships" are nice, but my college friends are truly my forever friends.
how sweet!!!
No... it probably won't be now! But 18 years sounds just about right for everybody to have their kids and get them raised and get BACK to a point in life when you HAVE time to give to yourself again! I'm so glad that all 4 of you were able to find that time and share it together this weekend! That is SUCH a gift!
I love this post!
I think it is so great that you have remained such great friends through these years!!!
I didn't stay at college on the weekends so I didn't feel like I came away with as many close friendships from those years - but I have some from high school that are very special to me!!
I'm glad you were all able to get together!
What an awesome story of friendship. I don't know if I've told you or not, but I totally LOVE your layout and the colors you have put on here. It's really cool.
Have a great day! Heaven
That is great that you all finally got the chance to get together. What a blessing to have those kinds of friends in your life!
It's so fun reconnecting! LOL! I was a freshman in college in 1982, too!
xo
LBC
That is a cool story... thank you for sharing...
How wonderful. I am so glad you were able to enjoy this special time together!
That is awesome that you are all still friends!!!!
What a great reunion! Old friends are the best!
Friendships like these do not come around very often in a lifetime- at least not for me. Great story. By the way, I'm new and I love your blog design.
Post a Comment