I've decided there are some moments that are "pinkie up" moments. You know the ones when you want to sound "SO intelligent" but you don't know what the heck you are talking about? I had a "pinkie up" moment this morning.
I am reviewing a manuscript for an educational publisher who is creating a book series for 1st grade students. The books each focus on a different aspect of art. They are being developed as leveled readers for teachers to use in their daily small group reading instruction. My job is to give feedback on the writing, make sure it's not too complicated for young readers, and help with the book leveling.
I know what you're thinking: "You had a 'pinkie up' moment over something that is designed for six and seven-year-olds?" Here's the editor's note to me regarding one of the books:
We don’t show any very famous great works by any masters of the Renaissance, the impressionists, etc. I don’t really think that’s a problem at this level. Do you
agree? (Also, please keep in mind that it is prohibitively expensive to get permission to reproduce anything from Picasso’s cubist period, geometric as they may be.)
Uh, yes? No? I don't know, but I don't want to tell you that I don't know. The truth is, I DROPPED out of "Great Works of Art"--a 1 credit course at my liberal arts college---not once, but TWICE! I know I live in a town with a very famous school of art. Heck, I even TEACH in a school that was designated as a "National School of Distinction in Arts Education"!
When I really put my pinkie down and admit the cold hard truth, you'll know that I don't know the "masters of the Renaissance" from an impressionist. I could GUESS at a Picasso, but honestly (and with apologies to any of you who are art aficionados), I think some of his work looks a little like the K/1 students at my school!
Honestly I HAVE grown a bit in the last 20+ years since I attempted those college courses. Still, art appreciation, is not my forte'.
So, I said and did the only thing a good book consultant WOULD say to the primary editor:
I put my pinkie UP and said, "Of course, I agree!"
Hello, My name is Susan, and I have a pinkie problem!
3 comments:
Very clever and funny, Susan!
I think I have more pinkie down moments than pinkie up. In fact, I often wonder if the older I get the more my brain resembles a third grader's in my class. Still, we're bigger than they are, we do have lovely blogs, and we are asked to review manuscripts. We can't be all bad. ;)
I love the 'new' look of your blog; the greens and jewels are just beautiful.
I hope you have a lovely weekend, and if you haven't had Spring break yet, celebrate for me as ours ends Sunday. Blessings!
Can we have tea??? I know we've done that - but it was so fun the first time, I'd love to do it again!
I'm not much of a pinkie person... But perhaps if it involved MY JOB, I might be! As an educator yourself, you don't really want to let other educators IN on the things you don't know! I UNDERSTAND that! I'm sure there I have had moments in my life when I put my pinkie up too! I just don't have a very good memory! LOL! I can easily BLOCK OUT uncomfortable situations in my life!!! There's a lot to be said for lack of memory sometimes...
*tips my cup* To YOU Susan!
Post a Comment