He was the fourth. He was a total surprise. A jolt out of our day-to-day routine that shook me to my core.
Ten years and 9 months ago, my youngest was heading off to school and we looked forward to being out of the whole preK/baby mode. We needed no stroller to walk Disney. We were done with potty training and other "baby stuff". I got rid of everything that remotely said "BABY". There was no crib. No clothes. No toys. Nothing. DH and I had decided that we were done with that phase of our lives. And I was glad.
But God had other plans.
Suddenly, on a day in May, I wasn't feeling great. It felt remotely familiar, but I put "that thought" right out of my head. Still, I knew I was off kilter a bit. I went to the doctor and he told me I was pregnant. "Pregnant?" I thought. "No way!" That day, I remember laying on our couch in total silence. It wasn't my plan. I was done. HOW could this happen? (No smart answers, I know HOW...but I really wanted to know WHY?) DH kept telling me, "It'll be fine! It's a good thing." I didn't believe him.
My pregnancy plodded along. I was uncomfortable and could barely walk when I left work in early December. I remember that Christmas being oh-so-special as I felt like I could understand young Mary better than ever before. And I could not imagine plodding anywhere by Donkey! In that final pregnancy journey I think I experienced every single emotion that Jesus' young Mother must have felt. Shock. Fear. Anguish. Physical pain. Emotional pain. Still, in many ways, I was going through the motions. Always in the back of my mind were the words, "This wasn't MY plan."
Three weeks or so before I had DS 4, the ladies at church threw me a surprise baby shower. It was such a blessing. I also had a shower from my friends at school. Still, I brought the things home and put them in a closet. We did get a crib...although I cannot remember where it came from! Still, the room was pretty much undone two weeks before I delivered.
My friend, Mellissa called me and said, "Have you used your gift cards yet?" I said, "No." She said, "Have you picked up sheets and the basics yet?" I replied, "No." She said, "Susan, you ARE GOING TO HAVE A BABY! You HAVE to get ready." She was right. I went to the store the next day and picked out a few things that I knew I would need for a brand new baby.
Those last two weeks were brutal. I could barely walk. I was lonely. I was scared. I couldn't sleep. He kept me up from 11:30 - 3:30AM almost every single night doing acrobatics in the comfort of my womb. I would sit in our recliner and cry. I prayed for him. And for me. I asked God to help me be the Mother he needed me to be. I admitted that I simply didn't know if I could do it again. I was scared to have another delivery. My last two were no picnic at more than 9 lbs each.
Sunday morning, January 17th, I knew we had to go to the hospital. We left before 6:00am. By mid-morning the doctors were very concerned because his oxygen levels were dropping and he appeared in distress. They broke the news to me. C-section. More fear. More panic. More anger. By noon, our fourth son....a gift from God...was born.
The cord was wrapped around his neck AND in a knot. The doctors said he would not have survived a trip through the birth canal as that knot was cutting off the oxygen. I cried. I knew we had a miracle on our hands. And at that moment I felt as if God finally whispered in my ear: "This one is born for a very special purpose. For my work. He's going to do great things."
And the bond was made.
I always knew that I would have boys no matter how many I had. God had shown me that when I had DS 2. I feel so strongly that DH and I were "supposed to" help raise up Godly men that would one day make great husbands and fathers. And I have been so greatful for that call.
After I gave birth to DS 4, I started savoring moments more. I knew this was my "last". There would be no more. Each of my children have taught me so many lessons--and in a way I learned from HIM to take the time to enjoy the others even more. In this past ten years I have learned more about love and life and compassion and joy. He lives life to its fullest. HE enjoys moments and makes memories. He is tender and kind. He loves his brothers and family beyond belief.
And, today, as I reflect on the joy he has brought to our family, and the way in which he arrived, Isaiah 55:8-9 comes to my mind:
My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the
Lord.'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than
your ways,And My thoughts than your thoughts.
And, to that I say, "Thank you, God!"
Happy Happy Birthday, Son! I love you!
18 comments:
Happy Birthday DS4!!!!!!
From a misty eyed, normally unemotional Allie: Happy birthday to your son. I know the day will have been a joy to you too.
What an absolutely beautiful post, Susan.
What a beautiful, beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it. I hope DS4 has a wonderful day!
Also, I switched feed readers because I have been having problems with Bloglines. Now, I am using Google, so hopefully I won't miss anymore.
And, yes. They cancelled school for cold weather. I guess they didn't think the kids should have to stand out at the bus stop when it was 0 degrees. We don't often see those kinds of temperatures around here, but I still thought it was kind of funny!
I'll like Allie, not a cryer, but oh this post. God is so good. Our plans aren't his plans, and his are so much better. Happy Birthday to your boy!
I'll like Allie, not a cryer, but oh this post. God is so good. Our plans aren't his plans, and his are so much better. Happy Birthday to your boy!
Hi Susan, Wishing a special "happy birthday" to DS #4!!!He has been a blessing and has kept you young...I love that picture of him with the birds...have fun today .... hugs,
Baba
Hi Susan
Thanks for your visit and comment today.
What a beautifully written post about your birthday boy. He's a cutie pie!
Hugs!
Kat
My twins think I'm HORRIBLE for telling them I cried when I found out I was having them. I was "okay" with the idea of ONE... but when I found out TWINS - oh nO! That wasn't MY plan at ALL! Sure hasn't stopped me from loving them both all the same! And I knOW how much you love all your boys! DS4 is a very blessed boy to have been given YOU for his mom. Somehow I think he knows that.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DS4!!! I'm betting 10 will be a verrrrrrry good year!
What a beautiful story! I absolutely love birth stories and hearing about your sons is always a blessing.
I pray he had a wonderful birthday!
awww... that is the sweetest story ever! Thanks for sharing.
Happy Birthday, DS4!!
xo
LBC
O! how similiar...I almost could have written this post myself....do you realize that? Even the relation to Mary...I pondered her journey often this past December as well....what a sweet testimony. And this boy of mine is WAY more active then I remember any of my others too! lol ;-) But I *am* getting excited now....because I know God has great things in store.... :-D
What an incredibly beautiful and moving post. Thank you for sharing this - much blessings to you both on this special day.
Remind me to tell you about MY "having girls epiphany" some time. Talk about humbling.....
Thanks for, once again, reminding me that God is in charge, not me. Gosh, am I EVER glad about THAT!
What a sweet tribute to your son! Happy birthday, DS 4!
You know, I also have a feeling that I'm going to have all boys. We'll see!
How sweet! I come from a family of all girls. I get such a kick out of watching boys be boys. LOL!
Happy Birthday DS4!
I am in tears, Susan...
This was so beautiful.
(My own firstborn turns 10 in July...)
Happy 10th birthday to your precious gift!
Lovely post. Happy Birthday DS4
that was beautiful...
and very similar story with my son... I had gotten rid of the last of my baby stuff when i found out i was pregnant...
as a nurse, I could not figure out how I got pregnant!!!!!
He too was such, is such, a miracle...
we are so blessed
Post a Comment