More Info About Me

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Desert

Ever feel like you're in the desert? Some days I do. It is dry. Parched. Lonely. Quiet.

I've recently had a few desert days. And while I prefer to be in a place that is more lush and green...and full of life...I'm thankful for these times too. For it's in these times when I am able to once again, figure out who I am. It's also a place where I am more aware of God and his mercy.

I love the desert pictures we get from scripture:

The burning bush was in the desert. God's people wandered in the desert, but he was there with them even when they were grumbling and complaining. Jesus prayed in the desert. He spent 40 days there fasting and endured temptation there.

In Psalm 63 David said, "1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. 3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you."

So, while my spirit is a bit dry right now. I TRUST that there are streams of living water that come to the dry land. I KNOW that it's here that I can leave more "old stuff" and put on the "new". It's in these dry times I realize just how much I thirst for God's mercy and grace. And I lean in to him a little more than usual...I quit trusting ME and start trusting HIM. In essence, I surrender.

We have choices here in the desert....shrivel up? Dry up? OR Press on? Seek water? Find the stream?

I choose to run to the stream....

What about you?

13 comments:

Susan said...

I choose to run with you, Susan :o) May I?
Susan

Melli said...

I would love to say I always run to it -- but obviously I don't! LATELY I try really hard... but sometimes I crawl to the stream panting. (because I've waited too long to go looking for it!) But shrivel? NO! That is sO unbecoming! I'd rather be a plum than a prune!

Melli said...

Oh! I will work on questions for you -- but give me time!

Mrs. LC said...

What happens when you've been in the desert for years and you've become shriveled?

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

A good word, Susan. It helps to hear that others run into dry patches, too, but the difference when you're a believer is that you know the source life-giving water, as churchy as that sounds.

Susan said...

Good question, Lindsey! I think that happens often. The good news is that we can all be NEW...right??? No need to stay shriveled.

Hugs!!

Kelly said...

I get stuck in the desert some times. I think you need to just keep moving forward. You have to come to water, eventually, right?

kreed said...

Hope you find that stream or get a good rain soon!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are in the desert, but those times certainly do remind us to look for the living water! I hope you will be refreshed.

Anonymous said...

Sus,
In your life, it's been my experience that, you are usually ahead of all of us and offering water to those of us who are on the way (Whether we're walking, crawling or running).

Also a comment on your "Stepping on Toes". Always remember this when dealing with others: "You're only as big as the smallest thing that bothers you".
Love YA'!
Dad

LA Nickers said...

Nice post.

Yes, I have been to the desert - upon occasion.

The desolate wilderness is often exactly where God meets us.

Blessings,
Linda

HEART OF A READY WRITER – Reading Through the Bible in 2009

Mary Jo said...

I'm not a big desert fan either. But I do believe that in the desert is where we learn our greatest lessons. And sometimes, God allows us to stay there until we do learn those lessons. . .

Great post.

Heather said...

I'm only a fan of the physical desert...but I know where you're coming from.

I take great comfort in the Psams, too...it hit me a few weeks ago that people for generations have "felt" like God was asleep or far away from them. I also realized that the Psalmists always choose to reaffirm the truth in those circumstances...they run to the stream.

Hope you get "soaked" today!

Love,
Heather