If you've read my blog for any time at all, then you know that my guys have a bent toward music. Until he left full time ministry, DH played in the worship band at our church. DSs 1 and 2 played in the Youth bands there as well. The picture above shows DS 1 and another music leader at our former church playing for DH on his last Sunday there. The boys also have played in neighborhood bands. Times have changed and now none of them are playing at church regularly, and any neighborhood jamming happens sporadically at best, thus I don't get to hear them too often.
That changed today.
DS 2 was asked earlier this week to fill in on drums at church since the regular drummer was going to be out of town. DH received a call yesterday from the Pastor (who also plays piano) and found out that the worship leader was very ill and his wife was in the hospital. He (the Pastor) wanted to know if DH could help with worship.
Now, remember that DH has not really done much "music" since we left our last church more than a year ago. When I came home from running errands yesterday, every guitar in our house was in the middle of our living room. DH was sitting with his music and DS 3 was kind of supervising things as they discussed possible songs that would "work" last minute. They went for a mini-rehearsal and planning session yesterday afternoon.
DS 1 spent the week away on a National Guard drill weekend. I mentioned to DH that it was a shame that DS 1 wasn't home since I know he'd love to come play with them. DH said he talked to our son midday and was told, "Dad, I'll come play if you can OK it with the Sergeant."
Call me a pessimist, but I wasn't looking for the ARMY to let our son leave their planned drill weekend so he could go help bail out a church with a limited praise band. Once again, though, I was amazed to find out that the Sergeant did, indeed, agree to let DS 1 leave drill for the service. He was going to have the Specialist drive him to church in the morning and we would return him to the armory after the service.
Fast forward to this morning's service. I only wish I had a camera to show you the gift I was given today. Once again, I got to hear and see "my guys" help lead worship! I love listening to my DS 1 and my DH sing and worship. And I love watching DS 2 play those drums. AND they did one of my favorite songs, "Heart of Worship" by Matt Redman. DS 3 even helped with the song and service slides.
I'm so proud of each of my guys. They are a joy to me. I love watching them use the talent that God has given them, for Him. It was bittersweet, though. DS 1 will leave in less than a month for the Army. DS 2 will leave in August for college. So, when the pastor spoke about trying to "force God's hand" rather than "walking in God's perfect plan" and letting him "direct our paths", I knew I needed to hear it. I am, afterall, a control-freak who would love to continue to direct each of their paths. I know, though, that is not my role at this juncture of their lives.
Instead, as I watched them play the final notes of today's service, I whispered a prayer, "They're yours, Lord...thank you, again, for the blessing that they are to me." And then I thought: "I don't know what their futures hold, but I KNOW WHO holds each of their futures."
And, THAT makes all the difference!
16 comments:
What a wonderfully sweet post about your beautiful family.
I'll keep you all (especially you) in my prayers in the coming months!!
Yes, how right..they are not ours but God's and HE will see them through whatever...Still praying for them is a must!! I know how proud you are today..Mother!! That is the best thing that we Mothers can be is proud of our children..Sandy
How touching.....and what a talented family! I loved this post, Susan.
PS- Email me at jillianinc (at) yahoo about your May trip to ATL - dates, etc. I definitely want to get together.
How tender...
If we could all just hold our loved ones in prayer and let God have them...
Wow...
WOW Sus...that was powerful! I know how difficult it is for you to "let go" and so glad you're finding comfort in having to do so.
Still..it does bring tears to their G'ma's eyes as well. Today was truely a special moment..and now is a memory that will be with you for a long time. Hug them all for me.
LY...C
All I can say is that "I wish I could have been there to see you get to enjoy such a special day."
Love reading about your family..Your post rocks!
Awww... you made me cry...
I'm going to be where you are - watching them get ready to leave the nest - sooner than I can even imagine.
xo
LBC
So glad that you were able to witness your boys and DH in ministry together. Cherish these moments, they don't happen very often. Gotcha all prayed up as well as the men in your life.
Awwwwww~ that's so awesome! I would have been bawling my eyes out to see them up there if I were you! lol
That's great Susan! Glad you had this special moment to treasure!
That is really cool that your son was able to come and help lead your church in worship!
\o/
Oh I could "feel" your joy, Susan, and theirs too. What a wonderful last minute gift God gave you all. The Army let him come!!!! Wow....now that has to be God.
Susan
What a great post! How awesome that God brought them together for you to enjoy followed with a message for you to hear!
You have to start taping these things for us Susan!! ;-)
What cool family time!
Hey Susan! It really was so awesome watching "your boys" up their leading worship! Woo hoo! When I saw DS1, all I could think of was how much he looked like YOU! Too funny! Oh, and I loved listening to your DH when he spoke and prayed. Something about his voice just really moved me on Sunday. I wasn't in the service the day he was teaching and now I know I really missed something special. And can I say that I just love DS2 and not because he shares the same name as my beloved! He's just so cool! You've got an amazing family of men, my friend! God is indeed good! Have a great week!
Hi there. I was searching for song titles, and I came acrossed your blog (when you had an entry quiz of lines of a song and others had to guess the titles). I then became infatuated with your blog. I was reading this entry, and as someone who just started leading songs at church, I could relate a bit.
As a kid my family never went to church, although we were all religious. My parents just had bad experiences with certain churches. Recently, though, I've had a desire to start going to church and being active. Not even a month after joining a very warming and welcoming church, I was asked if I could sing in the band. Now, my sister has joined me in singing, and the whole thing is a wonderful and spiritual experience.
Anyway, I'm very happy to see your guys up there, spreading worship to the congregation.
Post a Comment