More Info About Me

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

This post started last night and continued tonight

From Last Night (Tuesday):

If the boat’s a rockin’….

You MIGHT get SEA SICK!

When my brother got married, an entire entourage of our family accompanied them on their honeymoon cruise. Believe me, they ASKED us to go before-hand…but that’s another story. Anyway, our first night at sea, the wind was really bad and (come to find out later) the stabilizers on the ship weren’t working.

When the stabilizers aren’t working, it’s akin to being on one of those “Deadliest Catch” ships. Maybe not QUITE that bad, but close…REALLY close. People were pretty much getting sick anywhere and everywhere. It was NOT a pretty sight. There were sea sickness bags all over the ship “just in case”.

Now you may be asking, “Why are you telling us about a cruise you took in the past?” Well, perhaps it’s because I’m sitting in my cabin right now having some flashbacks. No, we are not lurching from side to side where you actually could fall (like we did that time a few years ago). But we are no longer “gently floating” through the Caribbean Sea, either!

I learned though after I had to go to the Infirmary to get a phenagren (sp?) shot last time when I DID get sea sick. So, this time, I came prepared. I brought my Dramamine to take as precaution. I took it the first night out. And just now, after watching the room stewards sticking sea sickness bags in conspicuous spots all over the ship, I took pill #2 and whispered a prayer that I would never feel the kind of sickness I did that first time.

From Detox to Sea Sickness…aren’t you glad I’m filling you in on some of the finer points of cruising??

{From Today: Wednesday}

We spent the day in the Costa Rican Rain Forest. It was absolutely amazing! I find myself so moved by the people who live in these places. Their lives are so very different than ours. Of course, the children can reduce me to tears pretty fast.

Our trip today included the flora and fauna that goes with the Rainforest via bus, boat and train. It also included….RAIN (duh, right?). This tour ended with a trip to a banana plantation and the packing plant. Let me just say there is NOTHING electronic in this place except ONE conveyor belt that takes rejected bananas up to a guy who throws them on a big truck. Everything is done by people. They were packing for Dole. There is absolutely no way I can put into words what this entailed. I took detailed pictures and will share it when I return.

We came back to the ship tonight and I am absolutely zonked! We set sail for Panama and a trip through Panama City and the Canal tomorrow.

That’s all the update I have, mates. I’m going to bed!

By the way, we aren’t rocking as much tonight…but I DID take my Dramamine “just in case”.

5 comments:

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Wow, you're blogging while on vacation?? That's dedication! Vacation dedication. I made a rhyme. LOL!

Lazy Daisy said...

They have sea sick patches too. I bet your eyes were open to life in Costa Rica...am looking forward to the picture and just what things broke your heart. Gotcha all prayed up!

Anonymous said...

And that is why I have never taken a cruise! While the idea sounds wonderful, I get motion sickness very easily. I worry that I would ruin the whole trip!

samurai said...

Man! I am so jealous!

Hope you keep your sea legs under you, and may He continue to show you the amazing sites of His creation! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that most of the rocking stopped. That would be a very bad thing.