More Info About Me

Friday, July 27, 2007

Signs, signs everywhere there's signs...

Today, DSs 3 & 4, our cousin, and I went to The National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. This place was AMAZING! It is more than three HUGE hangars of the history of aviation with a TON of planes to see. My aviator, DS 3, and his brother who is following in his brother's footsteps, was in heaven! I took over a hundred pictures that I'm sure we'll share in some form or another.

We left Dayton and headed south to Kentucky. I wanted to get to Lexington and stay for the night. Lexington, it turns out, didn't have many hotel rooms that would suit us...so we started looking for another option. I told DS 3 to start looking for a sign for the hotel chain we usually use. Almost immediately a sign appeared in a field saying there was one at a near-by exit. We joked that this must be our sign. It was a message that we didn't have to drive any further.

I went into the hotel prepared to "get my room". After all, I saw the sign, right? The hotel was completely sold out! As was every hotel at that exit! I have no idea what that many people were doing in that little tiny blue grass town, but we packed our tired bodies back in the car and continued on down the road.

It was pressing in on 10:30 and I asked DS 3 to call the hotel chain back to confirm the room that was the "next one south of where we were". With that call, there was a reservation and a promise that we would be at our destination within 25 miles. I figured that we would be in the room by 11:00.

My thoughts went something like this: "In by 11:00. Check email. Maybe check blogs. Get a good night's sleep and be ready to go in the morning for a leisurely drive to Atlanta to see Jane."

And mid-thought, two police officers with lights blazing appeared in my rear view mirror. I checked my speed. Why is it that we naturally do this even when we DO drive the speed limit?? Anyway, they whizzed past us followed by an ambulance. And almost simultaneously, the traffic on the Interstate came to a full and complete stop. People were eventually out of their cars...lights off...radios on....It didn't take us long to figure out that we were at the scene of a terrible accident.

We sat there until just after 11:00 when we finally were able to get around it. DS 3 and I discussed "our" sign a bit further. Now I am not one to say that "God had us stop so we wouldn't be in an accident"...because I can't let my mind do the opposite thing and think that God would keep me from an accident while letting someone else get into one...BUT I DO know that if it weren't for the signs and us stopping, it could have been us in that tangled mess.

And I couldn't help but draw up a parallel lesson to remember:

Sometimes the sign is clear, isn't it? You know exactly the "what" and "why" of it. It's easy to follow. And other times, the purpose of a "sign" may not become clear until later on and it may be much deeper than originally thought. In fact, it may be in our lives for a totally different reason than we could begin to imagine.

Isn't it amazing that you can EVEN learn while driving down the highway??

By the way, since the "sign" on the nighstand reads 12:27am as I type this...I'm thinking it's one of those crystal clear signals that I need to stop typing and get to bed!!!

9 comments:

Susan said...

Just perhaps ---- the unfortunate ones in the accident did not read or heed the "sign". How many times have we failed to listen & heed what God is telling us? I know I have been guilty of this. Just my thought!!!
Susan

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I am a firm believer that God can stop us with some little things that we forget or we have to turn around to get something. He keeps us out of things that we may never ever know about!! I am so thankful that you are all okay!!
I am so anxious for you to meet with Jane. I just know you two will get along so well.
I hope that you get to come back my way in October. Melli is trying to plan it all. Hope you have read your email.
Sandy

Anonymous said...

My dad recently spent 5 years at Wright-Patt. Now I am sorry I didn't go to the museum when we went to visit them! I am glad you arrived safely!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you saw the *sign*. Very thankful y'all are safe! Have a good rest of your trip.

Jill said...

I'm so glad you arrived at the hotel safely. It is amazing, sometimes, how things like missing the accident happen. One day leaving work I decided to take a different route for some reason. When I got very near my house I heard on the radio of a fatality accident on my regular route that occured about the time I'd have been driving that way. Wave when you pass by Atlanta!

samurai said...

It is definetly amazing when you can look back and see His hand. Even when you are bone tired and don't want to drive on anymore.

Glad to hear you all are safe, that you had such a great visit at the museum, and that you got some rest. :)

Melli said...

Oh, I fully think God may have stopped you from getting to that particular destination at that particular moment. If it wasn't in HIS plans for you to be in that accident, he didn't want YOU botchin' it up! I don't think He CAUSED the accident... but I do believe he "allows" some things to happen... if it works into His plans. YOU being there didn't work into His plans!

By the way -- I'm reading Holy Discontent right now. I'm finding it very interesting - but I'm not sure I agree with it. We'll talk more when I finish it!

Connie Barris said...

Don't you wonder about those in the accident and what they are saying? hopefully they are ok.. or maybe they didn't heed the signs... who knows..

glad you are safe... and my prayers that you remain safe...

blessings...

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad you saw that first sign!!