First of all, I need to clarify that my DH is not leaving the Pastorate against his will. God has simply taken him in a new direction that extends to the church as a whole. He is coaching churches in transformation around the country. This means he helps them look at their organization and think about how to bring it into this century and meet the needs of their local communities. (I am sure that he'll think that oversimplifies it....but it's close.)
Last night DS 4 and I attended the Spaghetti Dinner and Book Fair at his school. We sat down to eat and a young man (fourth grader) sat down next to us. He seemed alone. He started speaking to me. I was struck by his articulate conversation. He asked me if I worked at the school. I told him yes. He asked what I do. I explained. Then I asked him if he was new. He said yes. I asked him his grade level. He said, "I'm in fourth grade. I'm supposed to be in the Fifth Grade. The only reason I had to stay back is because I wasn't ready to go on. I had to repeat the grade. I am pretty sure that if I had been here at this school, I would never have been held back. Those other schools weren't good for me. This place has been wonderful."
Wow. What a compliment by a young person!!
I asked where his family was. I meant only where were they last night, I was not asking about his family history--but I got the history and not the location last night. He took a deep breath and continued, "My Mom and Grandma are here. We live together. I have lived in (this city) and (this city). I wouldn't have been kicked out of my last school except that someone hit me and I hit them back. It was HIS fault though, not mine. I'm glad I got kicked out though, because I got to come here. But you asked about my family....I have family from Ireland, England and Cleveland." I must have looked puzzled as I am now thinking he is pulling the wool over my eyes. He continued without missing a beat, "My Daddy lives in Cleveland. His family all lives there. I was born there. Actually, he's incarcerated in the jail up there. He is on the sex offender list, but then that is really none of your business. I came down here and we do not see him. And....now I forgot what you even asked me to start with." Then he took a deep breath as he stopped to think about what started our conversation anyway.
You don't get these kinds of conversations just anywhere! In schools like mine, though, you DO hear them. And you have to non-chalantly keep eating, breathing, smiling, (or whatever you are doing) and say something like, "It sounds like you really know now how to make good choices and are on the right track." He said, "Yes, I am." And off he went.
And as I reflected I thought, I am so blessed! I get to be in a place where children are allowed to be who they are and are helped everyday to grow to their potential. I know I am called to the work I do and there could be no better confirmation of it than a child trusting you to listen as they reveal who they are.
2 comments:
S...You forgot the part about blessed those kids are to have you and the other dedicated teachers like you in their school!! Great story. I hope you get to chat with him again sometime, he sounds like quite a boy!
LY...C
Okay - now I get it... I must have missed a couple of posts during the busy Christmas season around here.
I'm glad your DH is happy about his new direction. God works in mysterious ways...
As for Mr. Articulate... amazing... He'll go far. :-)
xo
LBC
Post a Comment