More Info About Me

Saturday, December 09, 2006

As I promised, I want to share some of my Nativities with the blogging world.
Over to the right, you'll see (starting from the top left) a stocking hanger, a box that holds Nativity ornaments (it's too interesting to put away) and a candle holder. On the second row, you'll see one that one of the boys bought me in their school fundraiser one year. The second one on that row is one that a dear friend gave me. It was made out of one piece of clay. The figures were carved out of the "clay clump". On the bottom shelf, you'll see the ornaments that came out of the box on the top shelf. These are made out of sculpting clay. And on the right, is another small one that one of the boys bought (in a different year) from a different fund raiser.

In the picture directly under this, you'll see one that I bought for myself at an "After-Christmas" sale a few years ago. I love Veggie Tales! They have been an integral part of my boys' childhood years. We have many of the movies. I never took it out of the box because I can think of no better way to display it.


This shelf on the left is also in the family room. Starting on the top is a small tree with Nativity ornaments. Just to the right of it is a snow globe with the Precious Moments figures in it. On the second shelf--to the left is one that a family bought us when we cared for their dog one year. It was purchased in Mexico and is very interesting.

The one to the right on the second shelf was made for me by a friend from our previous church, Sue, who was learning to use the scroll saw (I think that's the right tool). On the bottom row, you'll see two of the smallest ones I have. The one on the left (is white) and very intricate inside. DH's former District Superintendent and his family brought back for us after a trip overseas.

The one on the right on the bottom shelf is in a small walnut shell. It is really special to me. Each year, DH and I have hosted an Open House during the holidays for our church family. This is kind of how the whole Nativity thing began. People would come over and see the ones that we had and then they kind of started adding to the collection as they would see one somewhere.

The little walnut was brought over one year during the Open House. The man who brought it was a WWII vet and when he handed it to me, he said, "I got this when I was serving in the war. I was stationed in Germany. I thought it was so unique, and so I bought it. I knew it needed somewhere special to be, so I am giving it to you." I have displayed it proudly each year since that day. He is gone now...that makes it even more special to me.




This photo shows three more that were given to me by other people. The one on the left was given to me by DH when he went on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic. The snow globe and the center was given to me by DH one Christmas. And the one on the right was given to me by my Dad and StepMom. I believe it's from Phoenix.


This nativity in the photo on the right, was cut out by a man who was in our church in South Tampa. His name was Rick. He also loved looking at our Nativities each year when he would come to Open House. He cut them out and his wife, Vickie, who was quite an artist, painted them. I have always loved this set. It has such character.


I love them below the window painting that is displayed above them. This reminds me of being little and laying awake waiting to hear "sleigh bells in the (ahem) sand"...what can I say? I was raised in Florida...no snow here.




Finally, the shelf in the photo below holds one that was also made for me by Rick. The one on the top shelf that is shaped like a half-circle. It was the first one that he made for me. This served as a pattern later on for my Grandfather as he learned to cut them. He loved this piece, too. The one on the bottom shelf in the picture above is another one made for me by Sue and her husband. They used a wood burning kit on it. It's really neat.

We have only scratched the "tip" of the Nativity "iceberg" that is at my house. There are also ornaments on each tree that have been given to us over the years. The Nativities in this blog entry are all displayed in the family room.

I realize that these are a little like "Home Movies". If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I'll try to get the Living Room photographed and shared in the next day or so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

S...now I see you have been busy. All the stories do show how special each one really is. I just got through all the ornaments for the tree..and remenising as you mentioned before. I think about getting rid of some because I have so many..but then as I go through them I can't bring myself to do it!! Too many memories!
LY...C

Mary Jo said...

Those are beautiful and unique. Wow! I don't have any 'collections' but that is so cool that you do!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

There is 19 out of 1,000,000, only 999,981 to go! You can do it mom!

Jane said...

I love all your nativities. I have several too. I love seeing them each year.