Yesterday's post stirred some thoughts and comments in the blogging world. So, I have been doing some more thinking.
I love blogging. I love reading other people's blogs. And I love it when people come and visit my blog. As some of you know, my brothers have recently started their own blogs. I also read the blog of my SIL and my cousin. I know that my Dad, Stepmother, and In-laws all read our blogs and often comment on them. This is a GREAT way to keep up with family for sure. In fact, when my Dad and I were talking about it recently, he said, "It's a neat way to keep up. I just don't know why you would want to read a stranger's blog." I could try to explain it...but I am not sure I can really help him understand.
I feel like I "know" so many of you. I look forward to visiting your blogs and seeing what is happening with you. Of course, I am sure that things would be different in real life. But I really have blogs that I check on everyday just so I can see how you're doing. And just like real life, there are some that I check on every day and feel "closer" to. There are others that I may drop in on occasionally because it is more of a casual acquaintance. And, quite honestly, there are some that I have never revisited after a first time through.
So, here's my thought:
If we met each other in real life, would we be friends?
I would hope that for many people whose blogs I read regularly, the answer would be "Absolutely!" Sadly, though, I am not so sure this is true. Making friends takes time. Friendship has to be cultivated. It is a two way street...as each person determines if the relationship is one that is worth investing in and as each person reveals more and more of who he or she is.
The thing that blogging does (in a strange way) is remove those little judgements that we make about a person's mannerisms and general behavior (OK, maybe you don't, but I have been known to do this.) as we journey together. While the "first impression" is still there in a way...it really isn't. With those stumbling blocks removed, though, I am sure I have given some people in cyber-space more "attention" than I might have given someone in my personal life. In fact, I may be a "better cyberfriend" at times.
No, I can't explain this strange world of blogging. But, I'm glad I'm in it. And I'm glad that many of you are in it, too!
Some of you have been blogging much longer than I have. I know that some of you have arranged to meet in real life and have had a wonderful time getting to know those people that you keep up with regularly. I hope that this happens for me someday with some of my "cyber-friends".
In the meantime, I hope that you'll feel free to "stop in and visit occasionally!"
:-)
6 comments:
I feel the very same way that you do, but I did meet one of the bloggers and immediately we were friends. I felt like I had known her for ages. We just started talking, went to lunch and there was not a moment of hesitation or anything. I knew that she was a Christian and of course that made all of the difference in the world. Most of the people's blogs that I read...they claim to be a Christian. I have been saved for about 35 years now!! I know that I can write whatever I want to and it could be wrong but I do not lie and am definitely a Christian. I guess I just accept everyone for their values and go from there. My blogging friend that got me started,"Lazy Daisy" is a wonderful Christian. She has met two of her blogging friends no actually 3 now. She took right up with them also. I feel like this is just like back in high school when I had pen pals from Finland and Germany. I just simply love it and am completely hooked. So nice to meet you. I love the way you write. Keep up the great posts. I will be there to read...Sandy
Sandy and Amy,
Thanks for your kind words. It's just a strange world, isn't it? I keep thinking that there may be friends out there I am missing because I haven't taken the time to get to know them. And blogging kind of cuts that excuse down because we DO take time to get to know the person.
Happy Day, Blogging Friends!!!
Hmmm...the words, "I know what you mean" as Sissy says...are SO powerful!! Of course, you have to be listening to be able to actually say it and mean it.
You guys are wonderful!!
Hey what you say is so true. You really made me reflect on my own tendency to pass judgement. It is something that I try to work on regularly.
Wow, that's a great post! I certainly agree with you. I think that by visiting other's blogs, as Christians, we are representing Christ! We know it's not up to us to judge anyone, but in our human nature, we do.
I find for myself that the first thing I look for is anything about Jesus or God. There are many people out there who go to church but don't have a personal relationship with Jesus.
There have been times when I've visited a blog and there was obviously nothing that encouraged me to stay, in fact, just the opposite. But God has asked us to reach out to the unsaved world. So I pray that a comment that I leave on an "unsaved" person's blog would somehow draw that individual to Him.
Thanks for letting me use your blog as a forum.
Blessings to you!
Not sure how to respond without sounding judgemental myself. But
for whatever reason we all blog, whether it is for religious reasons, to make a point, or just put our thoughts and views and the happenings of our daily lives to share with others, it is a great avenue too keep in touch and possibly make a friend along the way.
Post a Comment