Yesterday, we went to The Kennedy Space Center. It was fun. Here's our "crew" standing with astronaut Charlie Walker. It was kind of neat (although DS 2 may tell a different story) to get to hear them tell of their adventure in space. He's a scientist, so it wasn't like going and hearing an awesome speaker...it was obvious though that he loves his work. DS 4 even got to ask a question during his presentation. I think he liked that.

Another interesting "tid-bit" about this act. The bus tour drove us by the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building)where space shuttles (and rockets) are housed for maintenance.

She pointed out this machine (I forget it's official name.) that is designed to transport the shuttle out to the launch pad. It takes almost 8 hours to move the shuttle the entire three miles. This vehicle's top speed is 1 mile per hour! It also uses 150 gallons of gas per MILE!
She told us that there are only two in the entire USA and they are both housed here at KSC. Then, she said, "These machines were made at the Marion Shovel Company in Marion, Ohio." I almost fell out of my seat! I was born in Marion (a small town in Ohio). I have family that still lives there. The Shovel is where my Uncle worked until he retired. Small world, isn't it?

Even though we ended our day in a torrential rain storm, it was fun to go explore this exciting attraction as you can tell by the looks on this crew's faces!
No comments:
Post a Comment