More Info About Me

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Higher Education??

For years I have vascillated between wanting to go back to school and get another degree and just doing what I do. I have my Master's degree in Education...and would love to go back and get a doctoral degree. The problem is that the degree I "want" and the one I "need" are two different things. I would LOVE to go back and get a degree in Reading or Language Arts. It's my passion.

In our state, though, if you want to move out of the classroom to a district level position, you have to hold the coveted "Educational Leadership" degree. I almost jumped in two years ago when two friends from work did...but I was TOO busy. Now they are done and ready to move up and on while I watch.

Quite frankly, this frustrates me. It's watching people who have less years in Education than I scoot right up and over me on the "ladder". I am not looking for a new job. I love my job. But, I know that I am out of options at the local school site---and withou this degree, my options at the district level are almost nil. It's nice to know you have options in your back pocket should the need (or opportunity) arise.

So, here I go...I'm going to the orientation meeting next week. I'll see what the plan is and probably jump into the pool of higher learning once again.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I can appreciate your frustration even though our situations are different. I have my bachelors and master's degree but I have stayed home 13 years in March.......very much wanting to do something "meaningful" but feeling very obsolete.

On another note, perhaps following your passion would lead you to a different but better place.

I will pray that God leads you to the degree progam He has in mind for you;-)