More Info About Me

Monday, January 30, 2006

Middle of the Night Remote School

I have come to a conclusion about males and TV remotes. Remember that I live with five of them.

When I married dh almost 19 years ago, we didn't have a remote control television. So it snuck up on me without me expecting it. It wasn't long after ds 1 was born that we got a remote for our television and I started to notice it. Men need to hold the remote. And they channel surf like no one else. They stay on a station all of 2 seconds (if that) then surf on. I always thought it was interesting to see how he did decide when to stop and stay a while on a channel and then how suddenly he would move on. Nineteen years and this remains a great mystery to me.

I know my dh is not the only one who does this. I have watched his father, my father, and two brothers do this over the years. So I pretty much decided it's a guy thing....

But now, I have noticed this practice is being passed along to my own brood. It really sunk in tonight when ds 3 was channel surfing. He and ds 4 were watching something and I notice they surf almost as quickly as the men on who's shoulders they stand.

Dh used to say that women went to "Men School" when we go to the bathroom together. So, I have decided.....they must wake up in the middle of the night and practice remote channel surfing. I am sure it is just a "guy thing"....you know, a NO-girls-allowed-middle-of-the-night-remote-school. The thing that makes me wonder is what other lessons they are learning there!?!

2 comments:

kt said...

I'm not really sure I want to know what other 'lessons' they are 'learning' there...imagining it is bad enough! lol ;o)

Lynn said...

My DH definitely has it down to an art form;-) I have not noticed this with DS yet, perhaps because he still has to fight for it with DD1(older), and DD2(younger. What I do notice is the effect it has on my DDs. When DH and DS go away for a camping weekend, DD1 maintains control of one tv, and DD2, the other. They don't surf like the guys, they pick one show, however, at least in the case of DD1, the remote remains in her hand! It will be interesting to see how this plays out in her future;-) Obviously, I am usually left remote-less!