A new lady came in to the salon today to have him do her hair. She met him and then asked point blank, "Are you a Christian?" He said he answered "yes I am." She replied, "Good because I only give my business to Christians." Then he told me, "I would have said yes no matter what because I wanted her business." But he said, "I am a Christian of course."
Our conversation continued about how bold this woman's question was. Personally, and please don't misunderstand me here, I think it was inappropriate. While she got the answer she was looking for...it is evident from a little time in his chair (and his response to me regarding her question) that he is not likely an evangelical. I am not sure the last time he set foot in a church. Yet I suspect that these are the characteristics she was looking for.
I have to say I think this woman has it all wrong. When I consider exactly what Jesus would do and who would cut HIS hair were he looking in our city today....I suspect church attendance would not be his criteria. Nope. He'd probably be looking for the most "broken" sin-filled hair dresser in the city. (NOT that mine is...but you get my point, right?) I don't think his first question would be "Don't you want to know ME?" I am SURE it would be "Let me get to know YOU. Where you are. With nothing but grace and love."
Let me also say that I think she probably did little to further the kingdom today either. Her question became salon fodder. If it made an impact, it is a negative "who-does-she-think-she-is" one. And that breaks my heart!
One thing is for sure: there was a lot more to sweep up besides hair in that salon today.
3 comments:
Oh MY! You can say that again! I do believe in supporting Christian businesses -- but not like that! And in recent years a lot of businesses are starting to ADVERTISE themselves as "Christian" that with just a little investigation proves NOT to be the case. But none of that has anything to do with that of which you speak! I AGREE with you! This was NOT good for Christianity in general! *sigh*...
Well hopefully you made yet another good impression on this man and that is what is important.
In Bible Study we are readying, "Just Walk Across the Room" and this story reminded me of what not to do.
Gaw-lee! What a strange thing! I personally find it interesting to give my business to those that aren't believers because sometimes there are opportunities to talk to them..esp in the hair chair! But yes, very sad.
Post a Comment