More Info About Me

Monday, April 05, 2010

Spring Break Reflections

We have officially finished Spring Break. For me it was like the players sliding around the bases during a great run at a baseball game. It had it's moments of pure joy and moments of weariness. But all in all it was a GREAT time!

Instead of picking one destination and going there to spend a few days, we decided to take several day trips. Or maybe I decided to take several day trips and they just humored me.

This adventure started with me taking LG to the fair on the first Saturday--She had a BALL! She rode everything...and I DO mean EVERYTHING! The faster the ride went, the better!
On Monday, DS 3 and LG and I headed out to our local science museum for a little hands-on fun! We followed that up with a trip to the Ringling Museum of Art where they have the work of Norman Rockwell on display. It was a beautiful day and a fun time! My favorite picture from the science museum is this one:


From there we went to the art museum where LG and I took time to pose near the Banyan trees:

And DS 3 took time to make fun of appreciate the art.


Then it was on to bowling where DS 4 showed us how it's done:



I don't think LG "got it"...


On Tuesday, we went to the Florida Air Museum, a Children's Museum, and to feed the swans in Lakeland. DS 3 says this photo, taken at the air museum, looks like a band photo...what do you think?

I thought this was a good "teachable moment"--although I'm not sure DS 4 really "got it":



We went to the Children's Museum for some more fun followed by a visit to Lake Morton in Lakeland. This is only a stone's throw from where DH and I went to college. We used to go out to this lake to feed the ducks/swans back then. It was fun to see the kids enjoy it as much as we used to!

We rounded out this day trip with a visit to a "Roaring 20's Pizza Parlor" near us. This was a throw back to a place we used to visit when I was a kid called "J Burns Pizza". When we walked in, they noticed it was filled with a lot of senior citizens. But, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane and the kids had a great time listening to the giant pipe organ and eating pizza.



This is how we finished Tuesday. I'll give an update on the second half of our break tomorrow.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Looks like you guys truly enjoyed SPRING break! :) I love Lake Morton! I lived in Bartow for a while and I had a girlfriend who lived a house or two down from the Library (which is on that lake)...we used to walk down there to enjoy the wildlife. Great area!

Baba said...

Hi Susan, I am glad you enjoyed Spring break with your family..My grands in Atlanta started their Spring break today.They have gone to Gulf Shores in Alabama..I know the three little girls will enjoy the beach and warmed swimming pool...
Hugs, Baba

samurai said...

That all looks like so much fun. I am jealous.

Unknown said...

That was only half of spring break? You packed in a lot of fun! My FB is heading back to school tomorrow. He is making himself feel better about it with the thought that he only has six more weeks until summer!

Melli said...

I can't believe how many of your posts I have missed! I must really be slackin'!

Sure looks like you guys made the MOST of Spring Break! I LOVE that pic of DS3 & LG on the chairs! Too funny!