A few months back, DS 3 (who is the Sophomore Class President) was brainstorming a fundraising project for his class. He mentioned that he’d like to try a take-off on America’s Got Talent and make it named after his high school “R’s Got Talent”. He took the idea to the student boards and was met with a little bit of resistance from other classes. They basically didn’t believe that Sophomores could “pull off” such an event. In essence, they threw the gauntlet. DS 3 was determined and began working on pulling his officers together for this event.They recruited 12 acts. He created tickets and fliers and banners to hang around the school. He found judges (including the youth pastor from our church and one of the leaders).
He created a Facebook invite and started inviting students from the school to attend. He had the Principal help him create a phone message that was delivered to all 2400 student homes inviting them to come on out. I helped him create a rubric for the judges to use to give feedback to the acts. DS 3 even talked his Dad into being a “corporate sponsor” and sponsoring the ability to “text vote” for the winner!
Monday night, however, he was a bit discouraged. They had only sold 15 tickets! He felt good about all the logistics except how many people would be in the audience! Just like most things that are well-planned, though, it all worked out. By lunchtime on Tuesday (the day of the show), they had sold 127 tickets—which was enough for them to break even financially.
He was feeling better by the time DS 4, LG and I arrived for the show Tuesday night. DS 3 was running around in Producer/Director mode…and maintained his laser focus throughout the event. It wasn’t long until people began streaming in through the doors to come see if, in fact, RHS and the Sophomore Board has talent. The event was quite well attended. The judges were funny—as they worked on being a little like Simon, Pierce, David, Paula, Sharon, Kara and, at times, Randy. The acts were enjoyable. And the kids had fun watching their peers perform. It was an incredible event and the Sophomore class ended up making more than $1000 on it!


Yep, I’d say DS 3 has talent! And, for that matter, so does DS 4…
After the show, I was talking to DH on the phone and waiting on DS 3 to be ready to go home. I looked across the auditorium and there is my 11yo, DS 4, with about 8 – 10 high school girls around him. Several of them had their cell phones up and were video taping DS 4 singing to them! People have been telling DS 4 that he looks like Justin Bieber (see pic below left) lately and he’s eating it up. He was having a ball entertaining these strangers! (Of course, as I relayed it to DH via the phone he said, “Yeah! That’s my boy!”

One thing is for certain, there is NEVER. EVER. One dull moment in our house! Gotta' love 'em!
He created a Facebook invite and started inviting students from the school to attend. He had the Principal help him create a phone message that was delivered to all 2400 student homes inviting them to come on out. I helped him create a rubric for the judges to use to give feedback to the acts. DS 3 even talked his Dad into being a “corporate sponsor” and sponsoring the ability to “text vote” for the winner!Monday night, however, he was a bit discouraged. They had only sold 15 tickets! He felt good about all the logistics except how many people would be in the audience! Just like most things that are well-planned, though, it all worked out. By lunchtime on Tuesday (the day of the show), they had sold 127 tickets—which was enough for them to break even financially.
He was feeling better by the time DS 4, LG and I arrived for the show Tuesday night. DS 3 was running around in Producer/Director mode…and maintained his laser focus throughout the event. It wasn’t long until people began streaming in through the doors to come see if, in fact, RHS and the Sophomore Board has talent. The event was quite well attended. The judges were funny—as they worked on being a little like Simon, Pierce, David, Paula, Sharon, Kara and, at times, Randy. The acts were enjoyable. And the kids had fun watching their peers perform. It was an incredible event and the Sophomore class ended up making more than $1000 on it!


Yep, I’d say DS 3 has talent! And, for that matter, so does DS 4…
After the show, I was talking to DH on the phone and waiting on DS 3 to be ready to go home. I looked across the auditorium and there is my 11yo, DS 4, with about 8 – 10 high school girls around him. Several of them had their cell phones up and were video taping DS 4 singing to them! People have been telling DS 4 that he looks like Justin Bieber (see pic below left) lately and he’s eating it up. He was having a ball entertaining these strangers! (Of course, as I relayed it to DH via the phone he said, “Yeah! That’s my boy!”

One thing is for certain, there is NEVER. EVER. One dull moment in our house! Gotta' love 'em!
7 comments:
What a great idea! And, what drive! It will serve him well, for sure! Love that DS4 got into the action with the high school girls! I'm sure he ate that up!
Way to go!!! That is great he had supporters helping him along the way and it obviously paid off! He should be very proud!!
And I'm new to the Justin Bieber kid...my almost 7 year old just informed me that he is "hot" and I'm still trying to figure out if she really understands what "hot" is...but yes, your son does look a lot like him!! Tell him to practice the signature! LOL
CONGRATS to J....looks like he really did a terrific job in showing those other classes that sophmore do RULE!! Sounds like he may be working on a "director/producer" passion. And how about A...is he not "walking" in M's footsteps?? Too funny!!
Give them both a big "high 5" from G'ma C!! LY guys!
ROFL! That is too cute! DS4! LOL! Congratulations to DS3 for such a SUPERB job! That is a LOT of work - I have done things like that before - and it is just mind boggling how much work goes into something like that! Your boy is AMAZING! All of your boys are amazing! You must have enjoyed it soooooo much!
Well done, and great job!
I have one son at home and my hubby... The girls have gone one... I can only say,,,"Bless you"
Can't even imagine 4 boys.. wow
How exciting, and how impressive that he was able to organize that so efficiently! Way to go!
Post a Comment