This meme is from Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee. If you decide to play along, jump on over there and grab the questions, sign Mr. Linky and have fun!
1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous? We are pretty "traditional" for our family. In fact, DH mentioned cutting up a salad and I about died last week. I said, "We NEVER have salad (lettuce and tomato kind) on Thanksgiving!" I'm sure he was thinking, "SO?????" And actually, a little later I thought, "So????" It doesn't mean we are breaking the Thanksgiving code by deviating a bit! All that to say, we pretty much end up with the same old, same old.
2. Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.") CERTAINLY LG and her entry into our family is at the TOP of my list this year. It has been an EXCITING month for us with so many tangible moments of love and laughter and memories!
If the idea is to find a convenience that is tangible for which I am thankful then without a doubt it's air Conditioning and heat. This year it's been strangely HOT and humid for us in Oct. and Nov. I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to live in a home where we can regulate the temperature.
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for. Certainly God's LOVE is at the top of my list...although I sense it in quite tangible ways. This season, especially the last month, has reminded me over and over again just how MUCH God loves all of us! It's amazing. It's beautiful. It's real!
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory. A SLEW of memories flooded my mind when I read this question. Probably one of my favorites is DH's and my first T'giving. We were expecting DS 1 and DH made a bed in the back of his car and let me sleep while he drove from KY to GA to visit family. It was special for us being "poor newlywed and expecting seminary students" to go visit them that year!
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year? Hmmm....we'll make Christmas wish lists sometime in the afternoon after dinner. The adults will most likely exchange names for gift giving. Some will sleep, others will play outside.
6. Do your pets get any left-overs? If they wanted them, they could. Cats generally don't go for leftovers...although Nola LOVES ham!
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying? Yes, we hold hands and someone offers the prayer. It's often my DH cause he is our "resident pastor" and people always seem to defer prayer to them!
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing? Probably some. We'll also be watching kids play and we sometimes take in a game or two of cards.
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing? Although I love oysters, I do NOT like oyster dressing! I have family members that do...but we generally don't make it that way.
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving? Actually, it's funny because I DO think I am quite informed about the possibilities of what happened on the first Thanksgiving. I am also well aware of the "myths" that we often associate with T'giving in this country. The common thread that is woven through every Thanksgiving belief and story is that these people took time out to give thanks for the harvest. They shared a meal together and enjoyed each other for that time. THIS is what I take away from the holiday traditions.
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying? Whatever my Stepmother brings! She'll probably bring pumpkin and cherry. Other than that, I don't know.
12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen!)
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!


8 comments:
'love and laughter and memories'..that's what it's about!
Making Christmas wish lists was ALWAYS a big part of our afternoon festivities too..sometimes drawing numbers.
My hubby loves cherry pie...maybe i'll do one especially for him this year.
Enjoy your Holiday!
blessings,
This is cute...I love all your answers. I also feel for the turkey, but by the time he gets to me, it is too late for him. :)
I keep threatening to do a veggie Thanksgiving...I get some really funny looks from that one.
#1 -- this is too funny! We are hosting an assortment of friends this year (potluck style) and when the question was raised, "who will make the salad?" I was like, salad, why?! But I am making the salad and it will be special!
Answer to #1 made me smile -- my daughter is like the food nazi at holidays...everything must be just so, and heaven forbid we change anything :-) Well, she's in for a surprise because this Christmas she'll be visiting us and we'll be doing the "traditional" Argentine asado rather than ham. Don't think we could even find a smoked ham if we wanted one; just not a big thing here.
Anyway, enjoyed your answers! Sounds like a very special day ahead for your family :-) And I bet LG will enjoy experiencing your traditions for the first time!
mmm... cherry pie :)
happy thanksgiving!
Love the sweet story about your first Thanksgiving...some of those early marriage memories are the best, aren't they!
Every year my mom asks, "Would you like to do something different for the Thanksgiving meal?" I just raise an eyebrow and then we divide up the traditional dishes. I just can't seem to break from the tried n true.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I have *never* heard of oyster stuffing. It's a *debate*? :-}
Hey KT, yes this is a big debate for many "stuffing makers". I think most people use canned oysters and they just don't taste good to me.
Post a Comment