Sixteen.
That's a time when life is suppsoed to be so wonderful. It's carefree. It's young and energetic. It's full of potential and possibilities.
Yesterday morning the newspaper touted making arrests in the case. I was shocked to see a former student's mug shot staring at me through my computer screen. He wasn't in MY classes, but he was part of our school family. He's 14. Even younger than the dead boy.
Apparently there will be more arrests in this case. Today they are saying the shooting was drug-related.
I don't care what it was related to...it was wrong. This is an example of not one, but two lives, cut drastically short. And it breaks my heart!
I really work in a place where people care deeply for kids. We work hard to help our kids see the possibilities that are available to them. Most of the time, we succeed.
And, as this reminds me, sometimes we don't.
10 comments:
8( I teach my children that life is not fair, nor is it easy. Truly sad.
Praying for the boys families...
So sad. So senseless. Some days nothing makes sense anymore. :(
That's so sad.
Prayers sent. This really is sO sad. I notice it in our local newspaper too often too... an awful lot of the "bad news" involves kids that I taught at some time or another. And it really BOTHERS me that too often I hear myself think "I could have predicted this..." ... but I hoped it would be different.
I really am sorry this has happened...
We do what we can...we can't save the world. Trust that God has a plan with this tragedy.
Sad to read it, but so true.
But think of the difference you are making in the life of a little girl. :-)
The failure to teach was not the school's. No the parents or lack there of share responsibility. Unless your school touts gang membership and actions without consequences, you have nothing to apologize for. Raising my children is not your job. They're mine not yours. It takes a family to raise a child. Not a village, and not a school system. I encourage your efforts and heart for children. But read Isiah 57:1 for insight in to why young men are taken home early.
How sad! I will be praying for the families involved. I pray that God will use it for good and that lives will be saved and changed.
I don't want the devil to have the last word in this and he won't!
Thank you for caring so deeply!
Oh Susan how sad!! I wonder sometimes just what is happening anyway!! I can only imagine how you felt since you remotely know them...I am so sorry...
Sandy
So, so sad. That's one of my fears...seeing a former student's face on the news because of a serious crime.
Post a Comment