More Info About Me

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Confession and a Book Review

I've felt the guilt for months now.  Yesterday, my blogging friend Marilyn helped me realize it's time to come clean.  If you've read this blog for any time at all, then you know that I love to read and write book reviews to share with you.  For the past two years, my reading has been pretty consistent.  I reviewed 23 books in 2007 and 21 in 2008.  

I know some of you read much MORE than that.   I read quite a bit professionally in my line of work that I don't share here.  Still, my pleasure reading has fallen WAY down so far this year.  After finishing the Twilight series in December, it took me until NOW to finish a book!  I have t
hree more that I am in the midst of reading...with no idea when I'll get them finished.  

Anyway, at jury duty last week, I FINALLY completed my first book of the year, Finding Home by Jim Daly.  So, I say "better late than never" and thanks, Marilyn, for the swift kick in the rear!  

Jim Daly is currently the President of Focus on the Family ministries.  This book is HIS story.  Jim was born into a family that could have been the poster family for dysfunctional.  Here's a snippet of Publisher's Weekly's review:  

Daly's childhood family sorely needed focus: the last of five children born to aging alcoholics, young Jimmy experienced his father's abandonment, his stepfather's rages, his mother's death and several years with a gloriously insane foster family living next to their own personal garbage dump. He apparently avoided beatings and sexual abuse, though his chirpy coauthor rarely plumbs the depths of Daly's probable anguish. Rather than looking inward, the young adolescent developed a pragmatic philosophy of survival: "Keep your expectations low. That way you don't get hurt." 

And the list goes on.  He really had no faith background to speak of.  As a child, Jim lived in the projects with his single mother.  He witnessed a murder outside his bedroom window.   He was not permitted to visit his mother while she lay on her death bed due to his controlling stepfather.  Later, as a foster child, he was approached by an older foster brother with sexual intentions.  By God's grace, there was intervention for him in that situation.  

It almost seemed surreal when I read the book.  I kept asking myself, "HOW could one man experience so much heartache and despair, yet turn into the president of Focus?"  Jim does take the time to answer this question towards the end of his book.  Still, I think it's no less than a miracle.  With all of his experiences, statistics show he should be in prison or on the streets today.  It's evident, though, that God pursued Jim through all those years.  

This book should NEVER take anyone four months to read!  While reading, I was reminded again and again that every choice we make impacts someone else.  Some greater than others.  And, honestly, I found myself questioning some of the choices made by Jim's "family".  In some cases, like when they went to foster care, I wondered WHY?  He had an adult brother at that point. There were "nice family friends" in the suburbs that might have taken them in...or at least found better help for these kids.  Then, I wondered how many times I've had the chance to be someone's hope and yet turned my head.  

Jim's story is a great story of perseverance and hope.  It is in my favorite genre: biography.  And it reminds us that there are still people right in our own neighborhoods that need us to be avenues of hope and help in their time of need.  Most of all, though, it is a powerful picture that tells us our circumstances don't have to define the person we become.  That, ultimately, can and should be defined by God, our protector and creator who is there pursuing us with his grace even when we don't know or understand it.  I don't know a better (or more awesome) message than that!  

4 comments:

Jane said...

All is forgiven. Life seems to get in the way of the things we really want to do!!
Hope the rest of your week is joyful.

kreed said...

Wow! That sounds like quite the story...now I just need a few months of vacation to read all the great books out there!

Anonymous said...

HA HA!! Your blog made me laugh! I certainly didn't want to inflict guilt...but I have to admit that I did enjoy the review! Hoping that summer finds you many a day spending a half hour or more with a cold drink, pageturning book and cool breeze!!!......one can always wish!!!!
Marilyn

Melli said...

Awwwwww... you're so cute! You feel a need to confess not getting to READ for pleasure?! Wow... I can't even keep up with all my Bible Study reading anymore... much less PLEASURE reading! Oh wait... Bible study reading IS pleasure reading... I almost forgot! LOL!

SUMMER is coming Susan - and you will be reading LOTS! And ... THIS really does look like a book I need to add to my list.