Anyway, while I was in there, one little girl (who struggles with almost every concept) asked me about MATH! In my heart of hearts I was thinking, "NO! Do NOT ask me about MATH--anything but THAT! I have to reach out to my own DS 4's village when it comes to helping him with math on a regular basis." My second thought was, "Maybe I can find the teacher's guide for reference." Suffice it to say, she DID ask me a math term and I could find no teacher's guide.
It was a simple question for which I should have had an answer in seconds. But I didn't. We muddled through it together. I am not going to lie...it was the BLIND leading the BLIND. Just not right.
Now a little over a week ago, my friend Sandy (her teacher) made a comment about elementary teachers being "afraid to teach math". She noted that this really shouldn't be THAT hard. I mean we've all got college degrees, right?
A little elementary math shouldn't make any educated adult fret and break out in a cold sweat. For the most part, she's right (except it DOES get me jittery at times). Just because I don't know a term or a procedure the way it is presented "these days" does not mean that I am incompetent and could not figure it out. I tell myself it's because I haven't been using each of these skills or concepts on a regular basis. I'm sure there's a little truth in that, though some of it may just be that it's "not my thing".
Despite her reminder that all would all be well, today made me realize just how reliant I will be on all of my mathematical colleagues and as many resource books as possible for support when I am once again teaching this subject. I'm so glad I work in a place where people ARE supportive and helpful in times of weakness.
Cause I know I'm not incompetent, but when it comes to this subject, I am definitely inept!
8 comments:
Math and calculations FRIGHTEN me (and I'm a realtor - go figure)!!!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your signature! I want one! How did you do that? Share!!!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Forgive me for laughing my butt off here, Susan! Oh PLEASE forgive me! Elementary MATH never scared me a bit -- I can get through that! BUT... let me tell you about a day that I had to teach 5th grade World History ... the Byzantine Empire! I was not only a fish out of water -- I was flippin' and floppin' and floundering on the shore!!! It was horrible! The kids were askin' INTELLIGENT questions... and I had NO answers! And NO teacher's manual! OY VEY!
Now... Middle School+ math - scares the b'jeebers outta me! I know NOTHING of algebra! I'm okay in geometry... but keep me far FAR away from algebra! I can't even help the challenged kids in that arena!
I don't find it unusual AT ALL for a college educated person to be POOR in one subject or another! I think we all had our sore spots - and chose NOT to deal with them in the real world!
Okay, you've actually made me feel a bit better, as when we homeschooled I felt like so many homeschool educators were afraid of math! Luckily, I had a great village living in my house, and never had to fear, either, LOL.
The classroom is blessed to have you back again...you're going to tear it up next year!
I really hope that educators will learn not to be afraid of math and science because this fear and dislike is apparent to the kids and pass this on to the next generation.
I think your attitude is right. You can figure it out and it is okay if you muddle through together. It is a good way to learn.
I know that several big scientific companies have science teacher programs to team up with educators to overcome the issue. When I was in college, we offered free homeschool chemistry workshops which were always well attended. Maybe there is a resource for you too?
We all have our strong points and our weak ones. I'm okay in math, but spelling......not my good spot!
Susan
In one of my college math classes, most of the students were elem ed. majors. The professor made us write "Math is easy! Math is fun!" at the top of all our assignments. I thought it was so dorky at the time, but now I think it was great. He wanted all of us future teachers to have positive attitudes toward math. That stuck with me, and when I taught third grade, I made my students write that on their papers as well. Also, when we played Math Bingo, they didn't shout out Bingo, they shouted "Math is easy! Math is fun!" I am sure I didn't turn them all into math lovers, but I do think it matters what we put into our mind about certain subjects.
Don't worry about teaching math. I know you will be fine!
Math is the reason why I'm not a Meterologist on TV...seriously. I can't even do a simple 40% off calculation without pulling out the good old calculator. I even count on my fingers at times. I HATE math...I would hide if a kid asked me. I don't know what I will do when it comes time for that homework in this house...this is why I'm not a homeschooler!
I was subbing in a high school geometry class the other day, and to my great astonishment, I actually remembered what they were working on (complementary and supplementary angles,) and I was able to help them with their classwork! It was truly amazing.
USUALLY when I sub in a math class, I don't do much helping. For some reason that one concept stuck!
Post a Comment