It was addressed to just my DH and me vs. our entire family. He has not changed his mind about the Army or his place in it. I think you could say that this experience has given him a perspective that he has not had before. I want to respect his privacy, so I am only going to share tidbits here.
Hello,
So, in my time here I have noticed something quite profound. I am unlike almost everyone here. Stories of foster homes, group homes, gangs, drugs, abuse and violence are the norm. Poverty/low income are also very wide-spread.
He goes on to write that he is one of a few guys in his platoon who comes from a background of "wealth." He goes on to discuss that "wealth" to him now means so much more than money. He continues:
You guys gave me a great life, nice home, and all the love in the
world. The support I got everytime I wanted to do something new was always there.
This part of the letter talks about our support of his decision to go into the military. He also talks a bit about the support of our extended family.
I have really had an eye-opening experience to just how "rich" I am in family on both sides. The stories I have heard are endless, violent, and shocking....My life has been full of loving family events and many memories of wonderful times with family. Please pass on my love and thanks to all the family for the good times growing up. Thank you for everything!
OK...pass me a tissue...This is when the parent in me looks back at every twist and turn his life has taken and says, "It was all WORTH it!"
18 comments:
Dear Susan, what a great testament of love from your son..his words are so true that he was given loving parents and a great family to share his life with and will continue to be a big part of your lives!!!Thanks for sharing him with us and bless him for serving his Country!!!
Hugs, Baba
WOW! How awesome!!!!!!!
What an incredible blessing that is Susan. You must be very proud of your son.
Oh Wow, the letter every parent lives for! It's amazing how much they appreciate you once they find out how "rich" they are in love and support. I'm crying with you.
Wow - Your son is all grown up. And thank you both for making me remember how richly I've been blessed. My thoughts and prayers are with you all!
Susan, what a precious letter. Save it forever ( as I am sure you will). By the way...I'll pass the tissues as soon I finish with them!!!
S..as an "elder"....gosh hard to say that...of this wonderful family I know everyday how truely blessed I am but having it come from my grandson is even more meaningful and I totally agree with you that it IS all worth it.
We have continued to stay close even with the "new" families that continue to grow through us.
LY...C
Susan, I know that is a letter you will treasure forever! What a blessing that he realizes the riches of his life, and how wonderful that he made sure to express his gratitude!
Pull out the lamination machine, because that letter is a keeper! What a blessing. The gift of a lifetime.
Good job "mom"!!!
Oh Susan, you are blessed indeed and so is he!!!!
Susan
I say it and say it and SAY it... your boys are treasures! Good as gold! Better even. I'm so glad that he shared that with you and let you know how MUCH you had done right!
And I'm sorry your younger boys didn't get to go to California... Bummer. I thought for SURE they would go!
That is just awesome! I can't imagine how it must feel to get a letter like that from your son...congrats on raising wonderful sons and being wonderful parents!
Susan, this nearly made me cry and he's not even my son!
I can just imagine how this must make you feel...I know you are so proud of him. And it's obvious he feels the same way about you and his dad!
My husband joined the military late in life (after age 30) but he only remained in for four years (during the first part of our marriage). And he, too, saw so much of the other side of life. Being older, he became someone some of the guys would turn to for advice ...which opened the door for telling them about Jesus or praying for them.
But wow, to have your grown child realize how blessed he was to have you and for how he was raised is a blessing beyond words, I'm sure!
Susan, this is what we live for as parents with growing children..those that are men or almost men or girls or almost women..We look for that day when finally all the things that we tried to instill in them comes out..You are so blessed and i know that you know it..Cry all you like..You deserve that!!
Wow! That was awesome! How wonderful to know that they "Get it" ya know? And every twist, like you said, was well worth it! :)
I think that is such a great experience for him to be exposed to so many differences. I think it will do much more in the long run than just let him know how lucky he is.
Oh Susan, I got teary too. And it's so true. There are so many who suffer through so much and we are so blessed in many ways. I fully admit I am a bit "sheltered" in that respect and have not seen the extreme in poverty, etc. God bless all of you...your son is a wonderful man.
Wow. Wow.
Just the other day, Hubby and I were talking about how it seems that everyone has some bad childhood story to tell- he and I were both very blessed to be in families very much like yours. We were surprised to discover that we are very much in the minority. Why God has chosen to spare us from the tragedy that so many other people have experienced, I shall never know, but I am always grateful.
Post a Comment