Hello Everyone!
I must have had too much fresh air because the last time I wrote, we were leaving Ketchikan and heading to Juneau. Today we are in Skagway. The temperatures have been pretty good...about 50 most days and only one day of rain so far.
Yesterday, our visit to the glacier was simply amazing! We actually flew there by helicopter, they put us on the top of it with a guide and special shoes. We walked and looked at the crevices and water falls. Incredible! We went whale watching. I can't wait to show you some of the pics my DH shot out there. He actually got the perfect "tail shot"! Then we topped it off with an outdoor grilled salmon bake at an old gold mine. Can you say YUM????
Today we cruised in an eagle preserve and nature hunt in the valley of the Chinook (sp?) mountains outside of Haines Alaska. It, again, was simply breathtaking. Even breathing is something special as you can tell how fresh and clean the air really is up here. It's also fun talking to to the "natives" as they tell us what life is like when there aren't all these cruise ships coming and going. They actually have to learn to hunt meat, fish, and harvest berries on their own in order to make it through the long winter months. We ended our boat trip with a hot dog cookout beside the river. We didn't get to see moose or bear, but another group did see bear on their trip. They're out there...that's for sure...cause we at least saw their "droppings"!
Tonight is our second formal night on the ship. Ship life hasn't been quite as great as our past cruises, but it all pales in comparison to the nature show that goes on around us each and every minute.
Currently the sun is up for 18 hours a day. That's something to get used to as well.
Tomorrow we go on an "otter tour" in Sitka. Can't remember just what all that entails, but I'm sure we'll have more to share soon. Sitka is also known for it's "Reindeer Hotdogs" that are sold on the street corners. I'm planning to give one a try.
Then it's on up to Whittier/Anchorage where we'll leave our ship and take two days of train trips and another glacier tour.
Hope you're all well. I PROMISE I'll check blogs as soon as I get home. Right now, Internet is costing us 40 cents a minutes, so time online is quite precious.
Hugs from the North!!
10 comments:
Can't wait to see pics!
I cannot wait to see pictures!!!
:)
Hmm... yep, definitely sounds like your coming flying with dad and I next time we go.
-DS3
Oh my, you're going to have so many great experiences to share with your class this Fall. I bet you're like me, bringing home tons of brochures and picutres to broaden their horizons! Be safe, and have lots of traveling mercies while you're away.
We spent a summer ministry in Alaska b.c. (before children). It is beautiful. So glad you are having a wonderful time. Gotcha all prayed up.
Susan, thanks for taking your precious time to blog!! That way we know you are good and having such fun!! So glad that you guys got to go to such a beautiful place.
Sandy
I am SO jealous!! I am enjoying reading your adventures and can't wait to see photos when you get home. Have a WONderful time with your hubby, you both deserve it!!!
Wow! I am so looking forward to seeing the pics! Have a great time!
I am SO glad you are having a great time! I've never been to Alaska and I'd love to get up there someday! Can't wait to see pictures!
God bless!
~Tammy
40 cents a minute!! Yikes!!!!
I'm so, so, very jealous of you right now. We had friends go on an Alaskan cruise last year (it sounds like it may have been the same one you're on--) and I SO want to go too!
Post a Comment