More Info About Me

Saturday, June 07, 2008

You're nobunny till somebunny moves in for the summer...

I am certain I've already offered my "regular readers" a glimpse of this story...and I tried to find it to link back...but I can't. So, let's just start at the beginning:

Several weeks-maybe even months-back, DS 4 came home and said, "Mom, would you mind if we babysat a bunny this Summer?" Since this is not your normal 9yo request, and I was a bit distracted at the time, I gave the best "Mom answer" I could come up with at the time: "We'll see."

I know I wasn't totally focused on the initial conversation. In fact, I am also certain that we talked about it more than once. OK HE talked...I, uh, listened busied myself with whatever task was at hand at the moment. I do remember saying, "NO!" at one point, but somehow it got watered down and forgotten.

Not long after the initial request, I came home one time to find my DH, my DS 4, 3 or 4 neighborhood kids, and a Mother I did not know, in my DS 4's room. Now to say I was mortified at this is simply an understatement. DH came out to assure me that all was OK. The Mother and girls wanted to bring their bunny over to "meet" our bunny for "when we watched her this Summer". When DH told me that the Mother had been here watching the bunnies "get to know each other" for over 2 hours, I couldn't believe it. Then the Mother came out, introduced herself to me and told me just how important it was for them to have a few visitation days if they are going to spend time together.

Now I am no pet hater, but they are RABBITS. I am fairly certain that no amount of "getting-to-know-you-courtship" would prepare them for a rendevouz that was to take place several weeks down the road. I love pets as much as your average pet-owner. I do not, however, treat my pets like they are people. But I am also someone who prays regularly to make relationships with the neighbors, so I didn't question it--I smiled and said, "Yeah, they seem to be getting along well." I did what any level-headed person would do, I ignored the whole thing and let DH handle it. Two more visits followed that one. Each visit meant that several children, and often the Mother, would sit in my DS 4's room watching these two bunnies hop around and "visit one another".

Over time, more pieces were added to my "bunny puzzle". DS 4 told me that he was to be the babysitter for the month of June while this family is in Israel for their daughter's Bat Mizvah. Their bunny is "fixed" so it cannot have babies. He promised to "feed it, clean the cage, and do a really good job" while this family is away celebrating this very important event. Through gritted teeth...and with the clear visual in mind of just WHO does the weekly cage cleaning...I agreed.

Fast forward to last night. I come home from a long day at work and a workout and DS 4 says, "Mom come in here." I got my second foot in the door and promptly headed to his room where I see Bella, the neighbor's bunny, in OUR bunny cage. Our bunny is out running around DS 4's room. DS 4 shows me Bella's back that has a huge hunk of hair missing and says, "Button did that when they were in his cage together." I asked just where Bella's cage was and found out that Bella doesn't HAVE a cage! She sleeps on their porch in a doggie crate at night. She runs free out there all day!

Somewhere in this conversation I also found out that Bella will be spending the ENTIRE Summer here at our house! Like, as in until AUGUST when school starts. As I walked away from his room with visions of dead rabbit in my head, I must confess there were NOT happy thoughts running through my mind. In fact, for a fleeting moment, I thought "this reaching out to the neighbors thing is a bit overrated!"

Last night, Bella slept in her "new digs" the dog crate that held my DS 2's "birthday duck". Of course, there's bedding all over the floor today, but no bunny is taking a bite out of another one. And more important, there are not bunny p**p balls all over DS 4's floor. And today I went out shopping for a new bunny cage to donate to Bella's cause. Cause one thing is for sure, if they're living under MY roof, they're gonna abide by MY rules.

There will be NO bunny cage visitations this Summer. They can visit between the bars as far as I'm concerned.

This might just be one LONG Summer!

12 comments:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

I will be honest - I have not read this yet but will...

You can find me at:

http://ineverhavetheanswer.wordpress.com/

Hope to see you there!

Amy

Melli said...

You have GOTTA be KIDDIN' me!!! You put that poooooooor little rabbit in a CAGE??? *LOL! Just kiddin'!* I can NOT believe how BRAZEN these people are! Did DH agree to the whole summer? Did ANYONE other than DS4 agree to this? I can't believe the nerve of some people! But I know your little DS4's heart was in just the right place. He knew somebunny needed help... and he offered. He's such a gOOd boy! :D

Tammy said...

Oh Susan...I just want to say I have to agree- Bella will just have to abide by your rules!
And hopefully, your sweet little boy with the good heart is helping to take care of Bella and not leaving it to "Mom"!

When my hubby surprised us all with a new fish tank and fish without consulting me, I said OK...but he was in charge of cleaning it! And so far, he has! :)

I guess it's a good thing there will be no chance of bunny multiplying going on, at least! ;)

Linda said...

Don't know what was more of a shock, the fact a bunny will be spending the summer with you or the other mother hanging out in you child's room. To me, it would take a lot of nerve for an adult to come into your house without you being there. I think you handled the situation great!!!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Well so now you are running a bunny sitting at your home this summer. Boy what will your boys think up next!! They are great boys though. You have taught them well and they all have big hearts just like their mom.

Sandy

Anonymous said...

You give me the giggles and make me thankful I have a girl when you update us on your 'critter' adventures ;)

BTW...I fixed the comment malfunction over at The Chronicles ;) Thanks for visiting!!!!

Anonymous said...

You mean you don't give animals free run of your home???? I think I will alert PETA. Of course, I won't let our kids have any pets because I think cleaning up after kids is enough! :)

Willow said...

There are reasons why our daughter MamaMia took her cat Angel with her when she got married....

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I enjoyed my visit to yours, too. Four boys! I had two and two and they are all grown and gone. Enjoy this time of life; you'll miss them when they are gone. (Our Tigger is in his 30s, still a bit of a Tigger; now a US Army Chaplain, currently deployed.)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

This cracks me up on so many levels! Favorite line: "Cause one thing is for sure, if they're living under MY roof, they're gonna abide by MY rules." Sometimes you've just gotta lay down the law on bunnies and ducks. Just ask Elmer Fudd: "Way down da waw, Susan."

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, and I meant to say thanks for such a compassionate response to my nuttiness.

Lisa Spence said...

Hi Susan,
After your comment over on my site, I knew I had to head this way--you are right, we moms of four sons have to stick together!

And I'm with Lauren of B & B--I don't do pets. I've served my time with bodily fluids!

Blessings,
Lisa

Mary Jo said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Have fun!