More Info About Me

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What do YOU think?



Our local radio station was discussing this Communion on the Go type cup this morning. Apparently, one of the DJs was given it since he was sick and unable to go to Easter services. His wife brought it home for him. The wafer is on the first "peel" and the juice is in the second peel.

At first I thought..."clever" for shut-ins and homebound. Then I thought, "tacky" to serve the entire communion in them...but then someone said they were originally created for military personnel working overseas.

Finally, I concluded that I don't know exactly what I think without saying, "well in THIS situation, yes...but in THIS situation, not so much..."

Actually, truth be told, it'd be GREAT for Mother's like mine who had to endure the day I got my tongue stuck in the glass cup during our very traditional church's communion service. I was just trying to lick out the last drop. Trust me, those things are NOT silent when you break the suction!! And for that matter, neither are the giggling children nearby who see and hear their friend making a such a raucous! So, yes, it would save the Mothers that painful, "You wait till we get home, missy, cause you're going to be sorry" look!

And, even today, it would have saved my own children from those times they sent their fingers diving into a shared cup to find their piece of bread that they lost when they drowned dipped it ever so reverently in the cup.

So I am asking, "What do you think?"

10 comments:

Melli said...

Oh good gravy IRENE! Susan... I haven't even come to terms with the fact that some church's use JUICE instead of wine, and individual serving cups! NOR have I come to terms with the "crackers" that I received at one church! I'm an old fashioned girl who believes in communion wafers and a gold chalice - presented by a minister of God!!! Please don't serve me up McCommunion!!! LOL! Oh dear... AM I being a McThinker now???

Ladybug Crossing said...

Well, it depends...
It is far more sanitary...
It is totally tacky looking.
It would be great for home bound people, but the pastor is supposed to visit them and do communion for them anyway... So how hard is it to pour a little wine and dip a cookie??
For the military, it would be wonderful.
I can't imagine what would happen in our pew! My mother wouldn't be able to get it open and we'd all be struggling like you do with those creamers that don't open the way they should. My dad would be trying to get his open... the sighs coming from my mother would be pretty funny... The papers would be all over the pews... OMG! It would be an absolute mess. I know my pew needs the old fashioned communion.

So - I guess it depends...
xo
LBC

Mary Jo said...

Well after reading the above thoughts, I'm probably going to be labled a heretic.

In our large church we use these communion 'to-go' containers when it's for the entire sanctuary. If it's a small group, they use the traditional plastic disposable cups and broken matza bread.

I think it's a great idea. It's more sanitary and can be stored for use ANY time. (of course we have communion a lot)

As far as the shut-ins, it's perfect for them too! Again, I'm probably going to be looked at wierd, but even we as a family take communion at home - without a minister - because in the New Testament the early church broke bread every day (and when you look at the greek translation - it means communion meal).

My thoughts. (PS - we had a messianic Jew who is a minister explain communion to our church and it really opened my eyes to some things we had been taught wrong in our denomination.) Too much to type here. lol

samurai said...

I was like you... I am not entirely sure what to think. But I am pretty sure that there are right and wrong times for this kind of thing.

IMO - definitely not at church on Sunday as a congregation - but I can definitely see that it would be good for a Chaplin offering communion to those he serves out in the middle of no-where.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Susan, You are right..it depends on the situation. We have plastic ones at our church and every once in awhile you will hear one go pop because someone popped it!! I think it would be ideal for the shut in people. it would be so easy to travel with it to their homes. Less messy and easier to carry for those giving out communion. Kind of nice i think...more sanitary too.

Sandy

Lazy Daisy said...

I have no problem with it. Whether it's individualized like this, which is perfect for homebound and the military or served in a chalice or silver tray.

(I did get a chuckle at your story though!) Being Church of Christ, we have communion every week and it's not the bread and the wine that counts but the receptiveness of the heart when participating.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I agree with Lazy Daisy, it's the heart of the person that counts, not the mode by which it is served.

(Although my personal favorite way of taking communion is by dipping a piece of bread into a glass of juice.)

Alise said...

I don't love it, but at the end of the day, the elements are a lot more than the packaging. The first time I saw this was when I took communion at Creationfest. In order to have tens of thousands of people communing without a lot of unsanitary stuff, they used something really similar to this. I thought it was pretty clever, especially in that setting.

At the end of the day though, it's all just surface stuff. If you take it without understanding the sacrifice, it doesn't matter if it's out of the Holy Grail itself -- it's still meaningless.

Anonymous said...

I like it...and I did enjoy reading every one else's point of view.

Anonymous said...

Dear All,

As Susan's only FIL (and an ordained Minister), I would like to engage in a bit of "conversation" about Communion.

I really would like to engage in a long one with Mary as I am currently pondering the meaning of the early practice of the Lord's Supper.

Communion historically was a changed Seder -- the Jewish meal celebrating the Passover. Jesus changed it into the Lord's Supper and made the annoucement that now God had a new contract, covenant, way of doing things with people. And, of course, that was Jesus' blood and body.

Communion was always done in community -- that is with other Christians, and likely mostly in homes. It was mostly a joyous affair -- but some of the Jewish elements would still lend a somber note to certain aspects of the meal.

The meal has now become a piece of bread (in whatever form) and some juice (so as not to encourage alcoholism -- at least in some churches). Often, and this is the fault of me and my colleagues, it is an "add on" to a service. It is not the central focus.

And what does one make of the preparation for the meal? It can't take too long because it is almost Noon (or whenever your church ends it service). What are we to prepare for? That takes some reading and pondering. But, I suggest it be done very carefully.

As to the "to go" packaging. No, I don't like it. BUT -- it is very handy at a Promise Keepers event or some-type of outdoor function. It is noisey and there is more to clean up, but it is convenient.

I would like to add that I think The Lord's Supper should be taken to the home of shut-ins. Mary, this is not because communion historically was only administered by clergy -- it wasn't! I think it shows respect and care.

Well, please feel free to engage me in dialogue if you want. Several of us did that after I stood on my head for Matt's high school talent contest. :)

Blessings to all,

FIL Rick